What's new
What's new

SIP MicroPower Direct AC/DC Converter usage?

The data sheet is below.

MPL-03S-12E pdf, MPL-03S-12E description, MPL-03S-12E datasheets, MPL-03S-12E view ::: ALLDATASHEET :::

I'm designing a system that has a spec for 12-24v dc.
Is 24Vdc more preferable than 12Vdc.
Are these things to be trusted?
I usually use a transformer/ rectifier bridge. But these things are 7/8" by 1 1/4" and will just require a few external components.

Half a century on, don't recall if the same maker, but we used a LOT of tiny Single Inline Package - far SMALLER - to kick a +5 VDC Vcc to +/- 9, +/- 12, +/- 15 V to power RS-232 ports, cabled to "dumb" terminals.

Might even still have one up in the attic.. with the Honeywell 6 parts. So the technology is mature and well-proven enough. 1970's or so?

Signalling doesn't need a lot of power until the runs get long, the data rate goes up, or both.

But YOU are the designer.

You must have SOME idea what it is to be USED FOR and what current you need as well as at what Voltage?

I've never used those exact ones but PCB mount switching converter modules are so damn convenient.

Give them some headroom for current draw, make sure to prevent them from getting too hot, add whatever capacitors and protection the application guide calls for, and you'll be set.

I perused the data sheet and see no reason why I wouldn't use one.

I did look at the data sheet. More than 300,000 Hours MTBF. When I used to work at Tektronix and went into design review meetings there was a
guy that was the head of Reliability. He sits down and stuffs his pipe. He would introduce himself as: "Roy Hoyeski, reliiiiiiiiaaaaaaabbbbbbiiiillllliiiittttyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy".
I thought his position was an easy life. That was when I was a youngster.

data sheet:
The 300,000 hours MTBF -> 12,500 days -> 35 years?
Now I am older and appreciate that reliability word.

Is that time going to be lower if power cycling is considered.

data sheet:
The 300,000 hours MTBF.

12,500 days

35 years?

Now I am older and appreciate that reliability word.

It is realistic. These gadgets actually HAVE been in the field for over fifty years already. Never knew even ONE of the many we used to fail.

If.. the last copy had not turned to brown dust more than 30 years ago..(cheap-ass paper..). We had re-published NASA work, pre 1970, as to HOW the MTBF is derived for stuff that hasn't even been BUILT yet.

Not yet built. Not yet tested. Not for even TEN SECONDS, let alone minutes, hours, or tens of THOUSANDS of hours.

So where TF do you get an MTBF of 10,000 hours or more?

Time has shown that the calculated methodology actually worked. See Voyager spacecraft.

But you might be forgiven to think it was NUTS that a PCB's MTBF went to Hell just because it had more solder-joints or more off-board connection pins than some other PCB, same function, same components, otherwise!

I'd have some concerns if you were using that to provide mains isolation - it's only 0.2" centre-to-centre between primary and secondary. You'll want anti-tracking slots at a minimum.

3W-ish is not much power for industrial controls. It really depends on what you're doing as to what's necessary.

They have the approvals, so there is no reason not to use one if it meets your requirements.

Voltage accuracy of 5% is.... OK.....

The spacing of the pins meets all the requirements, but yes, your implementation of the PCB can change that. I'd put a 1.5mm slot between the pins, and make the path around the slot 10mm. That should make it a no-brainer, with no quibbling about slight decreases below spec.

Elsewhere on the PCB, same spacing between primary and secondary.

The 24V vs 12V? What do you need? The current is double at 12V, but any relays, etc will draw double at 12V, so.....

I'd have some concerns if you were using that to provide mains isolation - it's only 0.2" centre-to-centre between primary and secondary. You'll want anti-tracking slots at a minimum.

3W-ish is not much power for industrial controls. It really depends on what you're doing as to what's necessary.

Unfortunately... far too much of our everyday gadgetry we chickn's who might know the difference.. seldom even think to look INTO..from desk lamps to thermostats to microwaves to entertainment goods to portable goods battery chargers... is strong on cheap, and weak on wise.

:(

Unfortunately... far too much of our everyday gadgetry we chickn's who might know the difference.. seldom even think to look INTO..from desk lamps to thermostats to microwaves to entertainment goods to portable goods battery chargers... is strong on cheap, and weak on wise.

He's talking input to output, not input to chassis. Who cares if the LEDs you can't touch have less than ideal isolation. The hole board could be at 120 volts and you'd never know it.

Those USB power supplies can be a little rough. The battery packs are the worst, passing mains through to the USB shield in some instances.

I'm not concerned with a spacing of 3/16".

I am too lazy to take pictures. And it doesn't matter. I can reduce a 1400 x 2100 TIFF image format file from 6.7 MB down to under 100K, and the pic still is minimum size here.

Primary use for +12VDC:
The +12VDC power supply will be used as the input to a 5V linear regulator that powers a small LPC2132 mcu board. This board generates a 3.3V supply.

Secondary use for +12VDC:
A relay will be switched with +12VDC through a NPN transistor. A 4N35 opto-coupler will drive a NPN transistor, the transistor collector current will
turn on a +12VDC relay, which will connect 120VAC to the Acro valves. (breath in / breath out). There are two of these circuits. This is just one relay.
I have other smaller ones.

https://omronfs.omron.com/en_US/ecb/products/pdf/en-g2rl.pdf

Each circuit controls a valve. Each vale is a different pipe size:
1/2" 10.1 watts
1/4" 6.1 watts
at 120VAC

The mcu is going to act as a smarter drain control. Instead of putting it on a timer I want it to drain at the appropriate times.
I can monitor the on/off times and daily usage.

SORT OF THE REASON FOR ALL OF THIS:
The circuit will be on a long time, maybe 24 hours a day. Trust is not there yet.

SORT OF THE REASON FOR ALL OF THIS:
The circuit will be on a long time, maybe 24 hours a day. Trust is not there yet.

LOL ...that actually works BETTER than pictures!

I'd say yer good with the device for durable, the above environment.

The only time yah can really "trust" a(ny) electronic device to behave exactly as expected is when you can be certain there is NFW to POWER it nor connect anything TO it!

:D

Ummm..... that pin spacing is actually 0.3" on centers. If you are counting two large PWB pads, well, maybe. I think it can be made at 6mm or a bit over, more than 3/16". Then a board slot that is over 1mm will finish the job. Anything under 1mm is just ignored, and assumed to be shorted, so you want it over that.

The spacing is required by voltage, and approvals won't be forthcoming unless they are there. Recriminations may be, if and when it fails, and some know-it-all like me is retained to see if the thing was safe according to the relevant standards..

Ah, I misread the datasheet. 5 & 7 appear to be the DC link so are on the mains side of any separation. 7 - 10 is the critical gap across the isolation.

But yes, either anything on the secondary side must be treated as being live at mains voltage (as if you were using a capacitive dropper that provides no isolation), or separated by whatever the relevant creepage and clearance rules are.

Potting it is probably an adequate (albeit overkill) alternative to cutting a slot if necessary.

Last two posts didn't say it, but I think you can see why the whole dam' world has become chock full of b****y annoying "wall wart" and inline-mini-brick powering.

Some times the best solution to a problem is to punt it off the board to a third-party .... and no longer own it.

Of course you mean your last two posts ....

Back