What's new
What's new

Sizing VFD for Yaskawa Spindle Motors

gernoff

Hot Rolled
I have a Yaskawa UAASKA-06CA1 spindle motor I need to control. The nameplate current is rated at 29A continuous and 39A for 30 minutes. The actual power rating of the motor is 3.7kw cont and 5.5kw for 30 min. In my googling I have seen comments that the high current spec is due to the 200v rating of the motor.

The question is: Although the motor current is shown as 29A cont / 39A max will I have any problem driving the motor with a 5.5kw VFD rated to 25A continuous (DuraPluse GS3)
I assume the downside is that I will simply not be able to drive the motor to its full rated power?
The VFD will be able to protect itself since it detects current etc. correct?

Thanks for the information.

I have a Yaskawa UAASKA-06CA1 spindle motor I need to control. The nameplate current is rated at 29A continuous and 39A for 30 minutes. The actual power rating of the motor is 3.7kw cont and 5.5kw for 30 min. In my googling I have seen comments that the high current spec is due to the 200v rating of the motor.

The question is: Although the motor current is shown as 29A cont / 39A max will I have any problem driving the motor with a 5.5kw VFD rated to 25A continuous (DuraPluse GS3)
I assume the downside is that I will simply not be able to drive the motor to its full rated power?
The VFD will be able to protect itself since it detects current etc. correct?

Thanks for the information.

I don't see you losing much of anything you could actually harness for useful work.

"Edge case" my not go the last mile, but edge-case it is.

DuraPulse seem to make a major point of putting load reactors and EMI/RFI filters right there "in your face" with those models. Most other makers, you have to get a search-warrant to find theirs at all, if even they have ones of their own.

I'd for-sure take the hint and throw a 'scope on it to make sure it was no dirtier than usual.

Forgot to mention in the opening post: This will be driving a Deckel FP machine with 6 speed gearbox. Should have no problem getting all the torque I need.

Forgot to mention in the opening post: This will be driving a Deckel FP machine with 6 speed gearbox. Should have no problem getting all the torque I need.

Crossed my mind to replace the HBX-360-BC hydraulic lawn-sprinkler system with a Reliance RPM III 180-volter Type TR setting spare. "10EE style".

Seven French Chevre Power vs five Dinosaur Current?

First, the 5 HP @ twice the size and four or five time the mass of the little French 3-Phaser - needs a shaft REDUCER to connect to a 7 HP powertrain!

One gets the hint at that point what is likely to happen next, yah? I just bought a second Phase-Perfect instead.

If you value your gears, set limits on that VFD. A K&T nor a 1939 Packard 3-speed the Deckel was never.

:)

Thanks for the input. I've read plenty of posts on setting up VFD's but would appreciate anyone's input on 'doing it right'. I have toasted a VFD in the past so am a little gun shy.

A quality VFD should be able to protect itself correct? I will of course keep a close eye on the motor temps etc. I will be running the motor in 'vector control' since the motor has an encoder.

Will vector control make the VFD go easier on the motor since it does not have to 'guess' on how the motor is behaving re: slip etc.

Thanks for the input. I've read plenty of posts on setting up VFD's but would appreciate anyone's input on 'doing it right'. I have toasted a VFD in the past so am a little gun shy.

A quality VFD should be able to protect itself correct? I will of course keep a close eye on the motor temps etc. I will be running the motor in 'vector control' since the motor has an encoder.

Will vector control make the VFD go easier on the motor since it does not have to 'guess' on how the motor is behaving re: slip etc.

The last couple of VFD I had before writing them off had around 170 settings to them.

You can probably program it to do anything short of exchanging sexual favours for chocolates.

Can anyone tell me the type of encoder signal the Yaskawa UAASKA type motors use. I assume its a line drive output signal but cannot find info anywhere.

Thanks Mike;

I have the manual with that page of info. I remember when reading it there was no mention of signal type. Looking at the picture again though I'm guessing the op-amp symbols in the diagram imply a line driver output.

Thanks Mike;

I have the manual with that page of info. I remember when reading it there was no mention of signal type. Looking at the picture again though I'm guessing the op-amp symbols in the diagram imply a line driver output.

Dunno if the VFD you have handles those signals "natively", but DIY'ing something that does do off some other vendor's add-on PCB's falls within yer skillset and bench gear. Stuff to use as seed-corn is all over the place.

Perhaps an easier route than the cost of swapping for the Yaskawa VFD that does have it onboard?

2 level-shifter's worth. Also some IC's I may never use in the Hell box. Pulse-train Freq <--> Voltage, etc.

Appreciate the confidence you have in my cobbling skills. The AutomationDirect DuraPulse GS3 VFD I bought has a configurable encoder input stage and supports the line driver signal.

Appreciate the confidence you have in my cobbling skills. The AutomationDirect DuraPulse GS3 VFD I bought has a configurable encoder input stage and supports the line driver signal.

"Confident" that you cheated and read the manual before you ordered it, yah?

The GI version of "6P Methodology" DID usta be a lot simpler than what Peats are using to make their numbers [1]:

"Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance".

:)

[1]https://home.kpmg.com/content/dam/kpmg/pl/pdf/2016/10/pl-6P-Service-maturity-assessment.pdf

be sure to set up the V/Hz correctly for that spindle, I have commissioned several Yaskawa spindles of that type and had to experiment as I had no documentation of the performance curves. I wound up at 200V/50Hz = 4V/Hz and it seemed to run fine there.

I have the same Yaskawa UAASKA-06CA1 spindle motor in a Tree Journeyman 425. I need to replace the drive with one that I can power from a single phase input. Those of you in the know, do you have a recommendation?

Back