What's new
What's new

Smart and Brown 1024 VSL wire trace before pluggping into RPC

George Liquor

Plastic
I am reaching the point where i can at last plug my 1O24 VSL into the RPC, before i do this i decided i had better trace the wires through the input lead right back to the motor and compare what i found with the wiring diagram i have, good thing i did as the wires L1 and L2 had been switched over where they fixed to the last contactor, the diagram shows L1 L2 and L3 in that sequence all the way through,
i have it sorted now and am just waiting for a 4 pin plug to arrive i will then match the wires to the socket pins on the RPC. Would the motor run with wires switched over i can't understand why someone would do that, or will it all become clear when i switch on..
George.

Thank you for your reply SAF, after switching the machine on i was surprised it ran backwards when in forwards and visa versa, also the increase speed button decreased the speed and the decrease button did nothing, the inch switch worked though. I switched the lines back to the way i found them and hey presto everything works as it should although now if i use the inch switch it causes the fuse paper (baking foil) i wrapped round the fuse in the plug to burn out, though it did not before? i think some one has been meddling, but the machine does work and it is quiet, next thing is to check the feeds maybe tomorrow. i will dig a bit deeper with the wiring see if i can figure it out.

"fuse paper"? Good one... had not heard that one before.

Not recommended, of course........

Best practice when wiring a machine is to keep the phase wires exactly as per the diagram and sort the connections on the motors and main plug or connection block if its hard wired in. May be a bit more trouble when you install it but makes life much easier later if you have to go trouble shooting.

Inch switch on my VSL just disconnects the main motor contactor coils from the output power feed so the motor only runs when the forward or reverse switch is pressed. Something very iffy if the motor runs normally but not in inch mode.

Clive

Back