What's new
What's new

So, bought this entire enclosure for $50 just for the drives. Any use for the rest?

eKretz

Diamond; Mod Squad
I managed to snag this for $50 locally figuring I'd just use the VFDs. Looks like they're both 5 HP and SLV-capable. Sure look like the same drive with different names too. I will probably use the enclosure also, since I have several drives running via remote. Might as well put them all in the one box since I have it. I see several starters in there and thermal cutoffs, a 3-phase breaker panel, several relays, a PLC, current transformer and ground fault alarm, etc. Is there anything some of these other items might be useful for in a shop? Or mostly useful for automation? I was interested to see there are no line reactors. I thought sure they would have used them. This whole box was apparently some sort of motor controller for a pool of some sort.

20200617_051645.jpg

20200617_051701.jpg

20200617_051719.jpg

Square D (and other) panels can be used for many things other than building electrical service...

Been inside many panels, never seen that bodge.
They make very similar breakers that bolt down, these get used inside panels.

The bad thing is that it was put together by an automation business! There's a sticker with their name and contact info, and it's on the booklet that was inside the enclosure too. Full of schematics and logic info. I bet that was one hell of an expensive package when it was new.

The bad thing is that it was put together by an automation business! There's a sticker with their name and contact info, and it's on the booklet that was inside the enclosure too. Full of schematics and logic info. I bet that was one hell of an expensive package when it was new.

Could was.

The technology in the older drive can register to vote (21 years since 1999 release).

The "younger" Yaskawa's technology can at least hold a driving license or join the Marine Corps without parental permission.

Prolly find new capacitors for both. Maybe even ones that can go inside the housing, given they have gotten smaller over the years?

The sheet metal enclosure, OTOH? $50 is much less than half that of new Weigeman from Zoro/Grainger in that size, less yet what a Hoffman goes for.

You got a Helluva deal on the steel!

The rest may as well be coloured glass trinkets.

Mind .. there WAS Peter whatisname and the "Manhattan Island" deal.!!!

:D

Actually, I almost thought I did but I wasn't sure. :D Look on the left side of the Square D panel.

Worst wiring run I've heard of yet was Romex inside a.......wait for it.......garden hose. :rolleyes5:

Bite me.

CAT5"S" patchcord. Inside SS-braid armoured elastomer laundry hook-up hose.

It's only LV control wire for a Dee Cee Drive. Right effective at keeping the lubes and coolant on the outside, not the inside. Ready-made with nice ends aready on it, many lengths.

Went to Sawzall all the 75-plus yr-old OEM metal conduit outta the '42 10EE? Thought I had tapped into the Paris Metro sewer system or a busy Chinese Dai Pai Dong Wok-warsher grease trap there was so much oil and such running all over the place inside the conduit.

"Sealtight" doesn't!

Got THAT Tee shirt outta the bowels of the Quartet Combo Mill.

:(

Bite me.

CAT5"S" patchcord. Inside SS-braid armoured elastomer laundry hook-up hose.

It's only LV control wire for a Dee Cee Drive. Right effective at keeping the coolant on the outside, not the inside.

Yabutt ! your not doing that for a (paying) customer are you ?

Yabutt ! your not doing that for a (paying) customer are you ?

WTF d'you think made me so ANAL?

Sure as s**t WAS.. MIL-SPEC. Immune to all manner of shite, deep immersion and "NBC" cooties included. Think Burndy. Marsh & Marine.

Had some fool in the outfit reading ocean data off buoys all around the US coastal shelf as found a spec for a truly weatherproof PRINTER and put it into the bid requirements.

Knocked his socks off when I bid the option.

He had picked the wrong <ethnic> of a DoD Cold-War contractor to ask.

Quoted him an AN/UYK-80 housing for a chain-train printer at over a hundred large, empty.

Bugger was built to preserve whatever the submarine's computer had last printed out before it was sunk. Even if the sub had to be recovered from serious-deep water, long time later.

Rejoice, ye taxpayers.

They wised-up and settled for an ignorant but rugged Franklin printer!

And took our advice to run a common armoured cable from out on the aft deck where they handled the buoys ... to an INDOORS part of the ship so the printer did not HAVE to be "all weather" capable!

Those 1950's $600 toilet seats yah hear about? Mebbe six MILLION bucks nowadays?

Nothing special ... until they wanted them to be able to eject the fool s**ting on them out of a damaged aircraft without breaking his back.

Yes, I agree, and think that hose is a smart idea. Will file that one for future use.

However, working at a panel shop, that would never fly.

Yes, I agree, and think that hose is a smart idea. Will file that one for future use.

However, working at a panel shop, that would never fly.

Off the wall at Home Depot? No. "Proper" sealed and armoured equivalents do already exist, though. Have for ages. See "warships", underseas most of all, and War One onward.

This is all I need to put the controls onto a 10EE carriage close to my hands rather than at HS or TS "reach for".

Otherwise? Change happens. What will "fly" is flexible, according to the needs.

Look at a "panel" from the 1880's.

Then NOW!

I agree that's a really good idea. I already have a couple. I will be putting them to use.

I'm fair-certain they don't meet "code" for general electrical use Maybe not even with stiff Tefzel CAT5 "plenum" cable.

NFPA-70 is a FIRE PREVENTION code at heart, after all.

The application is to route a CAT5 off the end of a steel tube departing lower edge of the apron, passing UNDER the bed of a 10EE to the back of the base casting where the flex picks up.

So there is space enough for a "loop" to not fatigue the cable conductors.

A 10EE carriage only moves max ten inches either way off a center of travel. So that works to get wiring for the DC Drive controls onto the apron but out of harm's way "mostly".

Even if sharp and heavy stuff drops through the webs in the bed casting, that part of the run is in steel. The flex loop at the back may need a "roof". Or maybe not. Still "playing".

NB: RJ-45 block does allow for fast disconnect, both ends, no needs of gnarly re-terminations when swapping-in a new cable.

Back