So, bought this entire enclosure for $50 just for the drives. Any use for the rest? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just got the enclosure stripped out today. Sorry Chip and Doug, no Romex... Tested both drives, both are working fine. I'll probably go ahead and replace the caps in the drives as cheap preventive maintenance. The drives have inspection dates stamped on the side, the Omron was 2003, the Yaskawa 2011. Guessing the Yaskawa probably replaced what used to be another Omron. Definitely the same drive with a different name, the parameters are identical.

The enclosure is 36" H x 48" W x 12" D - made by SCE. Far as I can tell lists for about $625ish. Nice key locking handle. Found the key in the bottom of the box too. I can definitely use that. I'll hang onto the starters and cutouts. Koyo PLC and its flatmates are going to be on their way to dalmationgirl shortly.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eKretz View Post
    I'll probably go ahead and replace the caps in the drives as cheap preventive maintenance. The drives have inspection dates stamped on the side, the Omron was 2003, the Yaskawa 2011. Guessing the Yaskawa probably replaced what used to be another Omron. Definitely the same drive with a different name, the parameters are identical.
    Yaskawa/Magnetek made drives under a LOT of names while they were growing the market, company, and US presence. The info is out there in radioland somewhere.

Best news is Yaskawa has a reputation for about the longest cap life of anything since the big old (expensive), era of way-early VFD with different cap chemistry and lower-stressed designs.

Manuals that call for 12 year replacement rather than 9 years or 7 years, for example.

TANSTAAFL.

Even my Phase-Perfect "white case" model's manual calls for a THREE year replacement interval.

FWIW-not-much, pure SWAG, but I figure all the "major maker" ones have about a 100% safety factor in the year-count.

Cheap enough CYA escape clause for them to print the safer figure, then be able to say: "well you were SUPPOSED to have replaced...."

2CW

Enclosures? We were actually taught sheet metal work at school before we got into machine-shop at all. Then had a good friend who's Dad ran a to-the-trade custom HVAC ductwork fab shop for all the installers as had no space for the equipment as made it easy.

Frosts my cakes how fast and cheaply anyone with access to a GOOD box and pan brake with decent guage capacity (not YOU Chicom imitations!) can fab an ignorant rectangular enclosure "to size" and hit it with a basic "spot" welder, if-even that is needed.

Then what the market CHARGES for the simple things, tooled-up for standardized-size VOLUME production!

3. Likes eKretz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Y
    Frosts my cakes how fast and cheaply anyone with access to a GOOD box and pan brake with decent guage capacity (not YOU Chicom imitations!) can fab an ignorant rectangular enclosure "to size" and hit it with a basic "spot" welder, if-even that is needed.
    Ha. There's a local man who drove a Vincent Black Shadow as his daily driver (I know, crazy) and it was instantly identifiable as his because
    it had the cutest teeny little elegant aluminum toolbox on the back fender, with brass details. I happen to know he made it from a stop sign.
    Good sheet metal work is a fine art. I wish I could to it, as anything other than a hack job.

5. Likes Winterfalke liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Good sheet metal work is a fine art. I wish I could to it, as anything other than a hack job.
    If you had the training course, Pittsburgh area, 1950's, you could prolly do it in yer sleep.

There was a middle-aged Chinese guy, back street in Wan Chai as did mostly open air repairs plus custom stainless cooking vessels and such to "fit" the odd spaces in tiny phone-booth sized Dai Pai Dong's all over the place.

Pride and joy was an Old Skewl "pressure" resistance "spot" welder.

Didn't have much more "technology in eyeshot but a grubby tee-shirt, cold weather, his bare tits, hot weather, and baggy shorts hung off his ass.

But it was a right treat to linger, share a smile, and watch how fast and nicely he'd shape custom cookware!

See also Gorkhali craftsmen forging serious good "Kukri" battle weapons out of bustid truck leaf springs.

Charcoal. Skill. Impact. Product. And right off the shoulder of what passes for a main road, their lean and hungry part of the planet.

Lovely folks. Gentle, cheerful, good as friends yah could ever ask for.

Not the first happy and cheerful folk anyone even half-way sane ever wanted to go to war with, though.

Kept out of the funny-papers. Also lied about. Heavily so.

But when the Chicom looter mobs got so badly out of hand in HKG long, long, long, years ago (1967 & 1968)

It was Gurkha Lines as restored the peace.

The "wet" way on one occasion no one admits ever even happened. Not even some who were THERE! "Manners thing" as it were.

Chinese Miitia had been sporadically machine-gunning the HKG side, trying to get return fire INTO PRC as an excuse to unleash more militiamen than had already swarmed across the border.

The well cared-for noisier weapons may as well never have left the racks, that day!

A Kukri doesn't have the problem of "stray rounds" crossing a border.
    Heads and headless corpses weren't returned either. No ID papers, y'see.

Lesson lasted about 50 years. That's good value for money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I happen to know he made it from a stop sign.
    I was always my understanding that the aluminum used for stop signs was one that didn't take kindly to bending...are you sure that's not fake news!

Stuart

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by atomarc View Post
    ... aluminum used for stop signs was one that didn't take kindly to bending..
    Stuart
    Try it sometime.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Try it sometime.
    Dunno if it is a Felony? Or only a Class One Misdemeanor. But, no.

And neither should you. Encouraging violation even of a Misdemeanor IS a Felony.

Year and day in the slammer, US States not yet run by looter-lie-bore-alls.

Such as yourself.

Fool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What kind of nut would steal a stop sign.
    Plenty of others that say speed limit, this named road ahead or xx miles to this town that don't endanger others if missing.
    The rumor I hear is that they do not bend well even with heat but to make a box it would be easy to cut panels and weld as it does weld nicely once cleaned.
    Bob

11. Likes dkmc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=thermite;3571328]Encouraging violation even of a Misdemeanor IS a Felony.

Ah. You went to law school, as well, during your humble up-bringing. So versatile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can buy any kind of street sign I want from the city disposition office.
    $5 for street name signs, $10 for stop sign sized signs, although the actual stop signs disappear immediately.
    They bend just fine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Encouraging violation even of a Misdemeanor IS a Felony.
    Ah. You went to law school, as well, during your humble up-bringing. So versatile.
    LOL! More than just the one, Jim.... more than just the one...

"Versatile?" You have noooo idea!

Didn't start OUT all that "humble", though.

Damndest thing.

The more I learned, the more able I was to understand how much I did NOT know. And still needed to.

That'll teach yah "humble" well-enough..... fast, too!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL! More than just the one, Jim.... more than just the one...

"Versatile?" You have noooo idea!

Damndest thing.

The more I learned, the more able I was to understand how much I did NOT know. And still needed to.

That'll teach yah "humble" well-enough..... fast, too!
    Thermite, that post is equal parts arrogance (bold) and humility (italics).

You're not finishing all that humble either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=CarbideBob;3571583]What kind of nut would steal a stop sign.

Who said he stole it? The real question nobody's asking is, what kind of nut uses a
    Vincent Black Shadow as his daily driver?