What's new
What's new

sourcing an idler

AC krom

Plastic
I'm looking to build a RPC to run my 7.5 hp lathe. Been doing a lot of reading in here, and figured that finding an idler would be the easy part...
Not having much look locating a 15hp or larger motor to use as an idler. I'm in upstate NY (near Utica) been looking on CL and ebay for somthing reasonable or close, but not much luck.

Best I've come across is $400 by time I pay shipping from MI.

any suggestions??

Check with your local scrap man, or salvage yard. Might obtain one for the value of its metals.

If its no good after testing, return it to get your money back. Look for one that is 1750 RPM or lower for less operational noise.

SAF Ω

Construction sites that are upgrading/renovating commercial buildings might have used motors that run fans. I have seen motors like that just left out on the ground.

I'm looking to build a RPC to run my 7.5 hp lathe. Been doing a lot of reading in here, and figured that finding an idler would be the easy part...
Not having much look locating a 15hp or larger motor to use as an idler. I'm in upstate NY (near Utica) been looking on CL and ebay for somthing reasonable or close, but not much luck.

Best I've come across is $400 by time I pay shipping from MI.

any suggestions??

Brand-new Weg, Brazil 10 HP here was under $400, shipped. "New" dealers often do better on shipping than used.

It's only an "ODP" El Cheapo, but it works. A Weg 5 HP can be dropped onto it as supplementary idler for hard-starting or heavy turning (7 HP lathe, 7 HP DP, the bigger mill is about 6.5 HP, counting knee motor & juice-pump). Only one set of hands and eyes, so only on at a time up.

Buffalo, NY had recyclers?

Point here being, there is basically zero market for large, used three phase motors. They often go for scrap.
Sometimes free for the hauling away. This is how I got mine.

You are probably searching the wrong venue, as mentioned zero in on scrap dealers and sites where industrial
buildings are being demolished. Bring an ohmmeter to double check that windings are continuous and not
shorted to ground. Beyond that there's not much to go wrong with these - give them a quick spin to check
the bearings but even those are trivial to replace.

Guess I'll have to keep looking. not much industry left in this part of the country, buffalo is 4 hours away. I'll try the Syracuse area.
May have to start making phone calls, my google fu has been letting me down bad this time

Back