What's new
What's new

Speed adjustment by External potentiometer only works through part of the range.

oughtsix

Plastic
I had a friend complain about the external speed control potentiometer only making speed adjustments through about a third of the range of the potentiometer.

After a little thinking I came up with this:
I just had a bit of inspiration re the speed adjustment issue with the potentiometer. There are two basic configurations for potentiometers: Audio taper and Linear taper. With linear taper pots the resistance is directly proportional to position of the pot. With an Audio taper pot the resistance is some function of a curve (very slow change at the beginning of the range and very fast change at the end of the range). From what you described it sounds exactly like you have an Audio taper potentiometer. I think if you swap your pot for a Linear taper pot you will get the speed control you are expecting.

FYI.

you would have to clear the drive back to default to eliminate any special volt-amp-hz-range restrictions that might be programed into it. The pot must be capable of varying the 0-10volt dc or whatever this drive wants to control it.
Rob

Make sure the pot is the correct resistance, usually 5,000 to 10,000 ohms.

If it is, then I would guess a taper problem. Or there may be limits set within the VFD preventing it from going full range.

- Leigh

Taper isn't going to cause the VFD to ignore part of the rotation, it will simply cause the response to be non-linear.

I'd check the 'voltage bias' and 'voltage gain' settings.
I think what's happening is that you're applying 0-10V to an input which is set to respond to 0-5V.

Taper isn't going to cause the VFD to ignore part of the rotation ...
It certainly can reduce the available control range to the point where the operator does not perceive a change.

There are a dozen different potentiometer tapers, a couple of which have 90% resistance at 50% rotation.

A couple of audio tapers have 0% change in the first or last 10% of rotation.

Any pot used as a VFD speed control should have a linear taper, no exceptions.

- Leigh

Last edited:
What is the brand and model?
There are a multitude of parameters, any one of which could exclude some speeds. The turn down may also be interfering with the pot input.

Although I concur with The real Leigh on the taper issue, it's far more likely that it's just the resistance issue. You MUST read the manual to know what resistance the VFD input is looking for and match that. If for example it is looking for 10kohms and you use a 5kohm pot, at full resistance it is still 1/2 of the resistance the VFD is looking for.

... it's far more likely that it's just the resistance issue.
As I suggested in post #4 above.

The VFDs I've encountered (by no means all that are available) will work with a range of pot values, typically from 1k (1,000) to 10k (10,000) ohms.

The pot is just a voltage divider with its wiper connected to a high-impedance input, so there are no loading issues.

- Leigh

Back