What's new
What's new

Spindle Drive Replacement Okuma with With Emerson M-701 or M702

fe02farms

Plastic
Hi all I Have a 1994 Okuma VM 40-VA 20 tool changer.
It was given to me free and to be working. It was dead no power on the VACIII at all. OK, So I read through these forms and I understand that there are many problems with replacing a factory VACIII with and aftermarket controller. I am willing to spend some in this direction in get this mill working. I have read the information on some of the other posts about the Pros and Cons to attempting this task. This is not a production unit, It may become that but for now it takes up room in my shop. My goal of posting here is to find the information of how to make this project work not how it will not work. Unless there is truly a block that will totally prevent this from working. If you know it, please tell me. Before taking this on I have PMed some from the board to get their opinion to see if this would be a good thread to post. It was suggested to follow up and post here.:)

The end goal is a Centroid controlled Vertical milling center that works.
4 axis to make parts with.

What I need help with:
1. What is the protocol that the current computer uses to communicate with the VACIII I believe it is a fiber optic connection Is there a media converter to convert this to a cat5 Protocol ?

2. What is the Pin out and how if any voltage is applied to the magnetic encoder / optical pulse generator on the spindle?

3. The pin out for the control signal cable

4.The pin out for the resolver

What is each of these looking for as far as voltage, pulse, timing, etc.

I understand I am asking for a lot.
Any and all help appreciated very much.

Andy

Back