What's new
What's new

Starkstrom starter help

Mr.Green

Cast Iron
I have a 1970 Ajax/Cleveland HM with Starkstrom controls/starters.

Spindle motor starter will not stay latched.
Everything else works correctly.

I am trying to find pictures/diagrams for the older starkstrom stuff.

It's a dls 40

Any help would be great.
0625bf67a6ce0cb1360bdf67dcff5263.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

"Everything" cannot be working right.......

First thing is to check the "latching contact" on the starter. It is supposed to provide coil current to the contactor after the contactor closes. The starter looks like one that will have that.

Trace the coil wires back and you should find the contacts, which will be in parallel with the start button contacts.

You can also check if there is a real or false fault condition from an overload, that may be preventing the latching. Usually those will prevent the "start" button from powering the contactor, but I know nothing about that specific unit, and it might not be made like that.

On momentary START/STOP buttons..a STOP button that is hung or stuck slightly open will not allow the contactor to pull in when START is pushed. If the machine was wired incorrectly, a partially open STOP button will allow the contactor to pull in, but not latch. The buttons would be a simple first check in my book!

Stuart

I went back and started breaking out each wire and tracing its ends. Made a little diagram and started putting the puzzle together.

All I know is that now it works.

I believe my issue was partly due to the jogging switch and one of the contacts in the spindle motor starter.

I wish I had taken pictures of the last Starkstrom stuff I worked on.

"Everything" cannot be working right.......

First thing is to check the "latching contact" on the starter. It is supposed to provide coil current to the contactor after the contactor closes. The starter looks like one that will have that.

Trace the coil wires back and you should find the contacts, which will be in parallel with the start button contacts.

You can also check if there is a real or false fault condition from an overload, that may be preventing the latching. Usually those will prevent the "start" button from powering the contactor, but I know nothing about that specific unit, and it might not be made like that.
I wish I understood the component between the starters, it's almost like a timer relay of sorts.

Real close to working right though.

Reminds me of the time a reset button on a hinged cover was barely pushing on the starter reset with the door closed. That one pissed me off, but now I know. [emoji38]

Dunno, can't get a decent view of it, it gets pixeled when expanded enough to see it decently.

Has what looks like a setting, maybe a settable overload?

Had a bit of a surprise when Affinity popped that picture file open.... wasn't expecting an Affinity file format.

Dunno, can't get a decent view of it, it gets pixeled when expanded enough to see it decently.

Has what looks like a setting, maybe a settable overload?

Had a bit of a surprise when Affinity popped that picture file open.... wasn't expecting an Affinity file format.
I posted it originally in another thread, deleted it from my phone, downloaded that photo to my phone and then posted it here, easier than it sounds.

Here it is:

Cleveland mill spindle motor issue

Back