What's new
What's new

Start/run combo capacitors in 6hp Marathon 1ph motor - connection names?

JasonPAtkins

Hot Rolled
Hey all, not a VFD or transformer question, but these seems to be where the sparkies are, so...

I have a Marathon 6hp 1ph motor that I think was bought at TSC and is being used on an air compressor that originally had a 5hp motor.

A cap went bad, and someone else opened it up, disconnecting the jumpers. I have a replacement cap (I'm pretty sure) and a wiring diagram, but can't figure out which terminals on the caps are what.

They're combo start/run caps, which I would've said was from some other motor, but lo and behold, the diagram does show a pair of caps with three legs each.

MotorConnections.jpg
(the two caps to the right of the motor in the diagram)

Untitled.jpg
(closer, I hate how the forum smashes images so small)

So the question is, the terminals on the cap are labeled as "C", "FAN", and "HERM". Which is which? Further complicating the situation, the top cap in the drawing has two connections coming out of the flat side (can't remember the names for the two sides of a cap, sorry) while the lower cap has one on the flat side and two on the curved side.

So essentially, there are two jumpers that tie two terminals of one cap to two terminals of the other, leaving a yellow wire on the 3rd terminal of one cap and brown wire on the unoccupied terminal of the other - but I don't know which terminals the jumpers should connect, or which those brown/yellow wires should grab. My problem would be solved if the cap legs in the diagram were labeled like the ones on the physical caps, but they're not.

Any guidance?

Sounds like you got the wrong caps. A 3 terminal cap is intended for a refrigeration compressor and condenser fan, two caps in one can, of differing sizes.

"C", "FAN", and "HERM". Which is which?
Common, Condenser fan, Hermetic compressor

What you need is 2 individual caps, of the same size, for the run caps. They only have two terminals each, as shown in the drawing.

Part specifications, and pictures are good, for getting help.

SAF Ω

Sounds like you got the wrong caps. A 3 terminal cap is intended for a refrigeration compressor and condenser fan, two caps in one can, of differing sizes.

Common, Condenser fan, Hermetic compressor

What you need is 2 individual caps, of the same size, for the run caps. They only have two terminals each, as shown in the drawing.

Part specifications, and pictures are good, for getting help.

SAF Ω

The blown up diagram clearly shows three leads on each of the two caps, doesn't it?

That is correct.

TEMCo Industrial Dual Run Capacitors - Capacitors - Product Guides

TEMCo Industrial Run Capacitors - Capacitors - Product Guides

8952758_f520.jpg

SAF Ω

As you can see in the orovided diagram, one trrminal can have as many as four quick disconnect (faston) tabs on it. When there is more than one wire, the capacitor can act as a tie point.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back