What's new
What's new

Step up 110 volt to 220 single phase

PeterRTZ

Plastic
I searched the forums but maybe didn't use the right keywords. I'm a total noob regarding electrical stuff. I do woodworking.

I have a new to me 3 hp, 220 volt, single phase, wood planer. My shop is rented and I have only 110 Volt Single phase power available without a massive expense to upgrade.

So I found step up transformers that seem to do the job but I wonder if they can handle a 3 HP motor? There's no specs on the wattage but in doing a few searches, am I right that a 3HP 220 Volt motor should draw about 2300 watts? So I should get (1.5 factor) a step up unit unit that has at least a 3500 wattage capacity?

I'm not totally sure what a VFD does in terms of my issue.

I'm basically looking for any and all advice. Or just point me to the right thread.

how many amps available at 120vac? if less than 20 forget it, you will need to get a smaller motor.

You can probably find a 2 hp 120/240v single phase motor for less money than a 3 or 4KW 120v:240v transformer. Alternatively you can buy a 2KW 120:120v transformer and reconnect it as an autotransformer. I would add a 40-80uF capacitor at the motor to offset some of the reactive amps.

Thanks Johansen. I'm going to get an electrician check out the possibilities of the panel and what my options might be. Swapping out the motor won't work on this particular tool.

1hp is about 746w... if your motor's OUTPUT is 3hp, that means it's generating 2238w, and that means it's probably PULLING about 2800w... or 2.5kw.

At 120v, 2.5kw is 2500/120=20.83A. A 20A breaker will probably NOT hold long... because the start surge from the motor will be a big chunk greater for a few cycles.

A transformer will have inrush atop that motor's start surge, so when all's said and done, you won't be happy with that limited a power source...

With it being a rented shop, you probably don't have many options... could you set up a generator on propane or natural gas?

Unless the shop is a tarpaper shack supplied by an extension cord, you have 220 available.

Post a picture of the fusebox/breaker panel.

Is there an electric water heater?

Is there an electric range outlet?

Is there an electric clothes dryer outlet?

Has the shop ever had an arc welder?

There are 220 extension cords, even 220 three phase extension cords.

Ask a miner about “extension cords”. Or someone who travels in a RV.

How many outlets do you have? You *might* be able to run a 230V motor off of two 120V outlets. Two safety relays should be wired in if doing this, but they are simple.

Back