What's new
What's new

Strange Disconnect

• Thread starter Ox
  • Start date
  • Replies 11
  • Views 1,952
Dunno..maybe parallel wires for the load to meet the ampacity/HP rating of the switch and allow for manageable wire size.

Stuart

I found the GE catalog page for this series. List price is over $7,500. :crazy: This switch can have fuse holders mounted in it.

Catalog just says "4 poles", but it's obviously good for 4 to 6. As already mentioned, uses might include multiple motors, multiple-winding/-speed motors or unusual poly-phase systems. For three-phase motors, this switch is rated for 50HP at 480V and 60HP at 600V.

I am pretty sure it's not allowed to parallel switch contacts for greater current/HP capacity, so that would not be a good use for this switch.

I found the GE catalog page for this series. List price is over $7,500. :crazy: This switch can have fuse holders mounted in it.

Catalog just says "4 poles", but it's obviously good for 4 to 6. As already mentioned, uses might include multiple motors, multiple-winding/-speed motors or unusual poly-phase systems. For three-phase motors, this switch is rated for 50HP at 480V and 60HP at 600V.

I am pretty sure it's not allowed to parallel switch contacts for greater current/HP capacity, so that would not be a good use for this switch.
Actually you can parallel contacts in a switch to increase the overall current, it's done all the time. But you can't do it for a motor starting contactor because there is no way all 6 contacts will close at EXACTLY the same time. However in this case, a 3 pole 400A switch would usually be less expensive than a 6 pole 200A switch, so there is no point. Where they start doing things like parallel switches is when the size requirement is larger than whatever is made as a single device. For example vacuum contactors, the biggest made might be 320A but if you need 1000A you get three of the 320A contactors in parallel because they don't make a 1000A vacuum bottle. Can't start a motor with them however.

Actually you can parallel contacts in a switch to increase the overall current, it's done all the time.
For static switching, yes, I agree. However, this is a safety switch intended for use as a live disconnect. For live disconnects, I stand by my statement that paralleling contacts for greater current capacity is generally prohibited. The exceptions are carefully engineered to ensure the last-broken contact has sufficient interrupting capacity for the entire load. You can't just take a recognized multiple pole device and wire the poles in parallel. The result is not an approved use of a recognized device.

We are basically in agreement, but I don't believe atomarc's suggestion or your general comment apply to Ox's original question about the purpose of this specific switch.

As said before by others, it is for a 2-speed 3Ø motor, I suppose it could be used as a 3-pole switch as the price is low enough, although I have little use for GE safety switches, if one wants a switch to burn up, use a GE (Goverment Electric) they are of such a poor design that if the orig. installer does not check ALL fasteners they will have overheating issues. BTW, that should be standard procedure for all equipment.

Back