What's new
What's new

Suggest an open barrel crimp tool

I have to repair a pendant cable on my scissor lift, it has a 23 pin Deutsch connector. I ordered some open barrel stamped connectors and the extraction tool to remove the current terminals. The wire size is 14 gauge, a bit larger than the 18/20 gauge commonly used on these terminals. What is a good hand crimp tool for these stamped terminals. There are several types and clones of the major brands by the boat load.

Steve

Open Barrel Crimper Selection Help

Steve, as you know, there's a bewildering array out there, that said, most are connector specific. Open barrel Deutsch #14 Ga, don't really splain what you got.
OpenBarrelSpade.jpg
My longtime favorite go to tool for most jobs is my old Packard 8913440, old, expensive, and dam good. It will crimp from #20 to #10 open barrel connectors perfect, fast and reliable. Works fine on any brand connector I've ever used, one test crimp an your usually good to go. Has spring loaded connector holder and adjustable holding shoe, full ratchet positive crimp.
packard8913440crimper.jpg
Here's one on the bay now asking $235, if I remember, back in the day they were north of $400 new. I'd consider it a good price at 200 or less in good condition, if you need it for more than a one off.
1 Packard Electric Terminal Hand Crimping Tool No 8913440 New | eBay

The other model I use is an AMP PRO CRIMPER II B9349. It has replaceable dies and can be used with many other style connectors with the right die set. It's also a full ratchet positive crimp, but lacking the holding shoe and clamp.
AmpReplacableDieTool.jpg
Here's one on the bay with a #14 to #20 Ga die set for $ 25+ Sh, much more economical if you don't use it often.
Amp Crimper Hand Tool 16 14 AWG 20 18 AWG | eBay

And as a 3rd option a Greenlee model, don't have experience with this one, but all of the other Greenlee tools I own are contractor quality, even the imported one's. $26 including Sh #28 to #10 Ga rated. It's not a rachet type and has other die types included. Probably a good tool for the price and limited use.
Brand New Molex Electrical Lug Crimper Crimp Terminals Box Open Barrel 10 28AWG | eBay

SAF Ω

For the Amp Pro-CrimpII here is a chart of the die sets available if you want to use it for a different purpose.

AmpProCrimpIIdieSets.jpg

SAF Ω

Back