What's new
What's new

Suitable transformer to step-up 208V/3ph to 400V/3ph?

y_x_n

Plastic
First time posting here!

Just want to run this by you guys who are definitely more knowledgeable than myself. All work will be done by an electrician.

I'm setting up a manufacturing space and I need a transformer to convert the 3 phase 208V supply we have on site to 3 phase 400V to power the control panel for a piece of European machinery that we are getting soon.

I've been provided with the following info for main power supply: 400V / 50Hz / 3P / N / PE / 5kW

After researching, I believe this 15 kVA transformer should be more than sufficient, I chose aluminum over copper because we will only be using the setup for a few months, but can go with copper if advised. TEMCo Euro Standard Transformer TT1021 - 15 kVA

There is a 9 kVA version, but I think that would be maxing out if it draws ~ 12.5 Amps at 400V.

Thoughts / suggestions? Many thanks in advance!

y_x_n;3406350...to convert the 3 phase 208V supply we have on site to 3 phase 400V to power the control panel for a piece ...[/QUOTE said:
To power just the CONTROL PANEL? 5KW?

Are you certain that's all you're trying to power? Seems like that's the entire machine...

To power just the CONTROL PANEL? 5KW?

Are you certain that's all you're trying to power? Seems like that's the entire machine...

Yes, well the essentially the control panel will power the machine. The European manufacturer will send out a technician to hook up the machine to the control panel, which requires the transformer in question. We are responsible for providing a suitable transformer and having that hooked up to our electrical panel ahead of time before the machine ships out from Europe.

Has this manufacturer assured you, in writing, that the machine is OK with 60Hz power instead of 50Hz? Motors that are not on VFDs or Servo Amps will all spin 20% faster. That can be seriously problematic on things like pumps and fans. Also if the control systems use 230V coils, that can be a problem too.

If all of that is OK, then what you need is a 208V delta to 400V wye transformer. Do NOT allow someone to talk you into a 400V delta, the EU equipment is NOT designed to handle that. It will REQUIRE that the secondary (their side) be 400Y230V, solidly grounded neutral. Not likely to be an off-the-shelf item so expect a 10-12 week delivery (although you might get lucky) and will likely cost a bundle.

Has this manufacturer assured you, in writing, that the machine is OK with 60Hz power instead of 50Hz? Motors that are not on VFDs or Servo Amps will all spin 20% faster. That can be seriously problematic on things like pumps and fans. Also if the control systems use 230V coils, that can be a problem too.

If all of that is OK, then what you need is a 208V delta to 400V wye transformer. Do NOT allow someone to talk you into a 400V delta, the EU equipment is NOT designed to handle that. It will REQUIRE that the secondary (their side) be 400Y230V, solidly grounded neutral. Not likely to be an off-the-shelf item so expect a 10-12 week delivery (although you might get lucky) and will likely cost a bundle.

Manufacturer told us that the control panel is able to convert the 60Hz to 50Hz. I've decided to go with this transformer which is rated for either 50 or 60 Hz. TEMCo Euro Standard Transformer TT1021 Rush Build - 15 kVA. And it is the 208V delta / 400V wye that you said.

Well, technically a control panel would not “convert 60Hz to 50Hz”, but what they might mean is that everything inside the control panel is converting to DC, so it doesn’t matter. So it’s likely that all of the motors are on VFDs or Servo Amps and the control power is all done with 24VDC provided by an auto-ranging power supply. So yep, that transformer would work.

Back