What's new
What's new

Switch question for the electrical gurus...

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
Benchtop mill, inverter powered/DC brushless motor.

The magnetic switch was shot, so I ordered what was to be a direct replacement, with 5 pins.

The switch I received has four pins (and a slot where the fifth, "A1" pinout would go...).
I (mistakenly) thought the fifth pinout was for the power on light, hooked up the other four wires and the motor (and power light) work fine.

What is that A1 pinout for, and will I risk damage to the inverter or board if I run the motor without it?

pF9Cwool.jpg

pgvK12Ml.jpg

Maybe check your reading glasses.
I can read every number, switch leg on the diagrams.

Guess I'll take a photography lesson for ya, smart ass.

Sorry for asking.

Well before you get snippy, consider what you are asking and what the pictures show.

All your pictures show are the part numbers of the switch. If you had views of the pins to go with the part number would have been very helpful. As it is, it appears that you are expecting us to do your home work for you.

Unfortunately your original question is somewhat similar to me asking you how many fingers I am holding up and expecting you to some how know.

Assuming the symbols in those boxes are 'U<' (I agree the photos could be better), it looks like the first switch has an external connection for the undervoltage release coil.This arrangement would allow you to insert other stop buttons, machine guards etc. in the release line, so that the machine could be stopped from multiple points.

In the second, this coil is simply hardwired to the other leg.

My question to you is "Do you now have a wire that has no home on the switch?".

Because if nothing is left over, that extra connection is clearly not needed.

The manufacturer has committed fault #1 of the part number world...... Having the same part number on parts that have different configurations. They need to be beaten about the head and shoulders with a terminal crimper.

The diagram of the switch is printed there, so seeing the terminals might not be very much more informative.

My question to you is "Do you now have a wire that has no home on the switch?".

Because if nothing is left over, that extra connection is clearly not needed.

The manufacturer has committed fault #1 of the part number world...... Having the same part number on parts that have different configurations. They need to be beaten about the head and shoulders with a terminal crimper.

The diagram of the switch is printed there, so seeing the terminals might not be very much more informative.

So how does a two pole switch work with only 4 wires? That is why I thought we should see the terminals and the wires.

??

Two pole switches by default have four wires. Two for each of the two contacts is four. See diagram.

This one is a hybrid between a switch and a contactor; it opens the switch if the supply power is cut so that it doesn't restart unexpectedly when power is restored.

The extra wire on the first one is so that you can make it drop out for reasons other than just power loss, like an external emergency stop on the other side of the machine.

Back