What's new
What's new

TECO E2 External Speed Control Settings CD Rom/Instructions needed.

Bill Harrison

Plastic
20190310_222800.jpg20190310_222908.jpg20190310_222524.jpg20190310_155353.jpg20190310_222007.jpg

Hi all, please can someone help me.

I have the Teco E2 Series Variable Speed Drive on my Bridgeports main motor and have figured how to get it to Run and Stop with remote switching however I cannot get the remote Pot Speed Control to work properly.

What happens is that when I move the Pot the frequency jumps straight to Max or Min speed depending on which way I move the pot, basically it is all or nothing.

I have worked through hundreds if not thousands of configurations of parameter settings and got nowhere.

I have checked the pot is linear and 10K, I have also monitored the voltage across the legs of the pot and they move very smoothly from 0v to 10v depending on which way I am turning the dial.

If I select the "Onboard" Up/Down buttons as the frequency control source, this works as it should.

I got the unit secondhand and have downloaded the "Quickstart Guide" and the "Manual" both in PDF.

I have trawled this forum and others and keep seeing the same comment that the PDF info I have is easily available but also flawed and that the only way to set these drives up is with the more accurate info that is on the CDROM that was shipped with these drives when new........trouble is I didnt get this disc and cant find a copy or anywhere that some kind soul has uploaded it.

Does anyone have the disc in question, would you be willing to sell me a copy, can you tell me where I can find a PDF of it's contents or can you tell me what parameters I need to alter?

I really would be grateful.

Here's hoping.

Bill.

Some more trawling has had me find that this device can also be designated as FM50.

Last edited:
Bill, I looked to see if I had the CD for an FM50 but sorry no dice. You double checked the remote pot connections are not reversed or miswired as to polarity? (no offense,just trying the obvious...)Not sure about the FM50's, but the info in the manual of my Teco CV7300 was identical to what was on the CD. Jim (oh, and welcome to the forum by the way)

It was marketed as the E-2 in Taiwan and elsewhere in the world, here in North America is was called the FM-50 (Flux Master 50), also sold by Motortronics as the ME-2 (as in "Me too") and Siemens, Eaton, several others back in it's day.

I'm not sure what you think might be out there. There are only two manuals for this drive, the "Quick Start" and the full manual. There is nothing additional on any CD or anything, it's just that this drive is old enough that it predated the wide spread use of the Internet for manual delivery, so the original versions gave you the data on a CD. It's the same manuals you get on-line now however.
https://dealerselectric.com/images/Products/teco/fm50_instruction_&_user_manual.pdf

You appear to have it wired right and the analog input switch is in the right position. You need to have F11 = "1" for Voltage as the frequency reference as well. If that's not working, it might be that someone had programmed Preset Speeds into it and it is responding to those. I always recommend resetting everything to the factory defaults when using an old drive because you never know what the previous user was doing with it. Did you do that? If not, do it now (F25 = 020, assuming you want 60Hz basis) then start over.

I know that it's just over a year since this post, but I've a second hand E2-2p5-h1f as well and cannot get the pot to work either. Hopefully there has been some progress on this issue in the meantime...

I've actually two E2's, the first I wired up and configured with no problems and it worked as exactly as expected. The second one I've the exact same problem as Bill above describes, either full speed or minimum speed. Nothing in between. I've tried swapping the machines that the E2's in, but to no avail.

Having two has let me compare them, though. Both read 10v across the 10v - 0v terminals when running. But when powered down, there are differences in resistance across the different terminals.

10v - 0v
Good 1.02 ohms
Faulty 4.4 ohms

10v - Vi
Good 18.8 ohms
Faulty no connection/open circuit

Vi - 0V
Good 17.1 ohms
Faulty 17.1 ohms

I've carefully looked at the circuit board for damage, rubbish etc. that could cause problems but haven't seen anything. It looks like an issue in the 10v - Vi part of the circuit. Has anyone else resolved this issue?

thanks

The early TECOs came with a paper manual, and a CD that had the same manual. The CD version has information that is not on the paper manual. I may have the on that came with mine around somewhere.

Back