What's new
What's new

Teco FM50 configuration with SB10L

Slash2nut

Plastic
I am finally wiring my TECO FM50 to my South Bend 10L. I have a 5 button box with a STOP, RUN, FORWARD/REVERSE, JOG, and a potentiometer in it.

My lathe will only run if I hold the RUN button down. The STOP works while I hold the RUN button down as does the JOG and FORWARD/REVERSE. The potentiometer works fine. Everything works if I want to stand next to my lathe and hold the RUN button.

My RUN button is a 22mm open contact. Do I need to swap that out for a locking ON/OFF switch? Do I need a relay (12v)? I would like to get this running so I can make spacers till I learn how to use the lathe.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Dave in MI

Unfortunately on the old FM50s, there was no "3 wire control" mode, meaning a momentary Start and Stop button. It needs a maintained contact closure on the FWD terminal to run. The only way to attain that was by using an external relay, but you could do it with a maintained 2 position Selector Switch though.

If you want to get it running in a hurry then for now, abandon the stop/start approach, and set it up to use a center off SPDT toggle switch. FWD/OFF/REV

If you want to get it running in a hurry then for now, abandon the stop/start approach, and set it up to use a center off SPDT toggle switch. FWD/OFF/REV

I am going with this:
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/pushbuttons_-z-_switches_-z-_indicators/22mm_plastic/selector_switches_illuminated_-a-_non-illuminated/non-illuminated/gcx3300

It is a two-position maintained switch. So, it will stay on when switched in that position.

I bought the TECO two years ago and am just not getting the lathe running. It is a 1967 production model that came from the SB factory wired for 460V 3 phase that was placed in a production facility. switch.jpg

Back