What's new
What's new

Teco l510 vfd

Bellaru433

Aluminum
I just had such a hard time hooking up my VFD for my Bridgeport welding machine to transform single phase 220 into three phase 220 and finally figured it out with the help of two electricians.. Now I am trying to install the same type VFD On my South Bend heavy 10 and thinking that I had it all figured out I did the same thing I did with the Bridgeport by following the info on the nameplate and I can't get it to go any faster than about half speed.. does anyone out there know where I can call and get some sort of technical customer service for these things.. I can't believe that I am the only one having this problem and some where there has to be A number associated with this company where I can get some technical advice,, they just can't expect everyone to know what's going on I mean you need a degree in electrical engineering to figure out the 300 different parameters that's in this booklet alone and your average person just doesn't know what's going on with this stuff... even resetting the unit to the specific type of motor doesn't complete the parameters needed to be set in order to function properly.. please can anyone steer me in the right direction.. I don't even know what type of a business I would call that would have somebody available to come out and troubleshoot this thing,,your average Electrician isn't familiar with these type of units and I don't have a clue on who would be.. any help would be greatly appreciated,, I already did the YouTube thing and they're just are not any videos that break it down to that level just a few here and there that are for specific features that you want to hook up I need a technical advisor that is absolutely familiar with Westinghouse TECO VFD's.. Hell,, would be willing to pay someone through PayPal if they could just call me and walk me through this... Anyway thank you..,

FWIW, I just got done setting up an AutomationDirect VFD this afternoon.

They are by far the easiest drives to set up and program IMHO. Most of the default parameters are set to go out of the box. The schematic for external controls is super easy and the programming menu makes sense.

To program, press Program >> (press Program again to jump up one level from P0.00 to P1.00) or press up or down to scroll to the next parameter (i.e. P0.01 to P0.02). Press Enter/Set to edit and again to save changes.

Oh and they have free phone support too. ;)

Any kind of automation electrician or technologist or an instrumenatation and controls engineer should be able to help you set it up.

I assume you meant bridgeport milling machine and now you want to adapt your Southbend, correct?

In general you don't need to change much from factory settings. Only, your motor current rating, max speed acceleration, deceleration... and maybe a few more.

I actaully emailed TECO tech support for my lathe, because I wanted to use the original controls... 3-wire type push button. I'd suggest you start there since I'm not familiar with the set up.

If you want, send me a pm with your email and I can try to give you a hand... does the southbend use a drum switch like the bridgeport?

Yeah I don't have a problem in how to actually input the settings that's not the issue.. The issue is putting in the correct information.. for starters I went and reset the actual unit to factory so I could start over again and it gives you four different options I would have to send you a picture of the actual nameplate and then the options available because they're also similar but then again I don't know if that is the beginning of the problem or not.. I don't know how to PM A personal message on this website as I'm not too familiar with it but my email address is
[email protected]... if you could email me I could send you a photo of the nameplate and a photo of the specific section for the motor parameters and maybe you can tell me what The proper input information would be.. it's just too hard to try to explain it..
like for example one parameter says " Motor Mo load current "
And the one below that says " Motor Rated Current (OL1)..
Then there's motor rated power and motor rated frequency and motor rated voltage.. I don't know what any of this is so maybe someone can look at the nameplate and provide the proper information because I'm totally lost.. and yes I meant Bridgeport milling machine not welding machine...And I am using the drum switch but Like on the milling machine I just keep it on forward and operate everything through the VFD. I know how to set the RPMs and the forward or reverse and the rated 60 hertz ... If you could just steer me in the right direction from the information on the nameplate and the proper reset according to the nameplate I would appreciate it thank you

Once again I can get it to turn on and do what it has to do but it only accelerates to about half power so I obviously have some settings that are wrong where the VFD isn't providing the necessary voltage or current or whatever it may be I have no idea but unlike the milling machine when I turn the potentiometer Once again I can get it to turn on and do what it has to do but it only accelerates to about half power so I obviously have some settings that are wrong where the VFD isn't providing the necessary voltage or current or whatever it may be I have no idea but unlike the milling machine when I turn the potentiometer(I have it set up to use the potentiometer to slow it down or speed it up) by the time I turn it up to 60 Hz where the motor should be running full speed it's only running about half power...

Yes.. it says 60.00 when I turn it all the way up and the motor is only running half speed... how do I post a picture..???

One thing to check is verify that the motor is wired for 220 volt, not 440. Use the tag on the motor and check the motor's connections.

Good luck,
Ted

That's the thing this motor doesn't have the capabilities to be 220/440..
All the nameplate says is 200V and below that it says suitable 208V.. I looked around and there are a lot of motors that are just 220 or 440 and not capable of both..
So When I reset the VFD to take it back to factory there's only four options they give you and they all have the multi combination settings,, those options are as follows..
50hz 220/380..
60hz 220/380..
50hz 230/400
60hz 230/460
50hz 220/415
So I reset it to the closest one 60hz 220/380.. but again this motor is only 200 capable up to 208 so on the 02-04 Motor parameter group which is motor rated voltage a manually put in 200 V.. but that didn't change anything it's still only running at half speed I went up and put it back to 220 and still the same thing.. I don't know if because this motor is just 200 V that you do you have to go in and switch even more parameters... One electrician told me that if it is set at 220 or a 200 rated motor that VFD might Might be putting it automatically in some sort of a protection mode and that's why it's slow but I went back-and-forth and manually put in 200 and 220 and it's the same situation
The nameplate information is as follows..
3PH
1 HP
1725 RPM's
200 Volts (suit 208)
4.0 AMPS
60 HZ
SF 1.15
AND THATS IT.,
The VFD is TECO L510 that is rated to transform Single phase 200-240v input to 3 phase 0-240 output... so somewhere in one of these factory settings something Has to be changed and once again I don't even know if I have the right factory reset when I switched it to the closest one Because he doesn't have a factory reset for just a 220 class motor and not the multi combination 220/440 or any of the other five multi combination factory reset options...
I am just totally lost and it's such a bummer to sit here and stare at a beautiful I am just totally lost and it's such a bummer to sit here and stare at a beautiful South Bend heavy 10 and not be able to use it..!!!

What is the entire part number of the Teco drive that you have? Although a 230V 3 phase version CAN be fed with single phase, it needs de-rating. The versions SOLD as single phase input are already designed for that.

Are you just trying to run it from the keypad, or do you have control wires going to the Digital Inputs? If running from the keypad only, make sure Parameter 00-02 is at a value of "0" for "Keypad". If you want to change to the terminals, do that AFTER you have it running correctly.

... like for example one parameter says " Motor Mo load current "
And the one below that says " Motor Rated Current (OL1)..
Then there's motor rated power and motor rated frequency and motor rated voltage..

Those are shown as all being "Read Only" parameters, meaning you can't enter anything into them. But that is a mistake in their manual, because 02-01 (Motor Rated Current (OL1)) is where you are supposed to enter the motor nameplate current, in your case 4.0. Do NOT use the"Service Factor", it is not usable when you run a motor from a VFD. You can ignore the Motor Mo (should say No) Load Current, it's irrelevant.

Parameter 02-03 is where you enter the Motor rated Speed, in your case 1725.

Parameter 02-04 is where you enter the motor rated voltage, in your case 200.

Parameter 01-01 is where you set the maximum output voltage of the VFD (it does not do this for you from the 02-04 values for some reason). Assuming it is indeed a "200V class" drive as you say, the default value form the factory is 220, change that to 200.

Parameter 01-02 is where you set the maximum frequency. By resetting to 220/380V, it will have assumed it is a 50Hz motor, you need to change that to 60Hz.

Parameter 01-00 is for setting the V/Hz pattern. For starters, set that to a value of 4 if it is not already there, that's "General Purpose". Should be fine.

Parameter 02-07 is the "Autotune" function. If you want to get peak performance, do the Autotune by setting this to a value of 1 and when you hit Enter, it will engage in that, it takes a few minutes sometimes. This is a "static" autotune, so the shaft will not turn.

AFTER the Autotune, go to Parameter 00-00 and change that to a value of 1, for "SVC mode" (Sensorless Vector Control). If you don't care about peak performance, you can skip this, but still do the Autotune.

Well I did everything said and it's still is running slower On the fastest pulley selection.. when I have it set up to run the fastest pulley it's running as if it's set up for the slowest selection... Can anybody tell me how many RPMs the South Bend heavy 10 should be spinning the spindle when I have it set up for the fastest speed...???

When you reset and it asks for a version it would be 60Hz at 230/460V default model, you then adjust the specific motor parameters separately.

When the VFD is set to 60Hs it should run at whatever the name plate spindle speed indicates. You might take a picture of the VFD while it is running and the wiring. Make sure there is no neutral is connected and you are running 240VAC single phase to L1 and L3 terminals. The LED display should read 60 (Hz) when in the run mode with the Hz led on. Set the keypad speed knob to 100% or fully turned clockwise.
Group 00
Set 00-00 to 1 SLV
00-01 through 00-04 to 0
00-05 set to 1 if using the keypad speed pot, 2 if using a separate external speed pot (AVI)
00-06 through 00-10 leave at factory defaults for now.
00-11 set to 60.0 Hz
00-12 set to 60.0 Hz
00-14 to 5 seconds
00-15 to 3 seconds or 5 seconds if you have a threaded chuck without a lock.

V/F parameters group 01 not sure if these are deactivated when 00-00 is set to 1 SLV but make the following changes.
01-00 set to 5
01-01 V/F max voltage 208V
01-02 60.0 Hz (this should be set by 01-00 when 5 is selected)

Motor parameters Group 02
02-00 is set by auto tune
02-01 is 4.0A
02-03 is 1725 RPM
02-04 is 208 volts
02-05 is 0.7 kW
02-06 is 60 Hz

Per previously mentioned try the motor and see if it is running correctly then run auto tune by entering 02-07 to 1, you may need to hit the run key.

Do a reset and then try entering these parameters again. It also may be a problem with your motor so you could try a different motor attached to the VFD.

Back