What's new
What's new

Jog with VFD.

EtienneNavaar

Plastic
I am having difficulty getting my jog button to work on my lathe with Teco JNEV VFD. It is a momentary switch and I have the input connected to the VFD and it is programmed for "JOG" according to the manual. When I hit the button, the frequency displayed changes to 5, which is the default frequency for JOG mode, however the lathe doesn't start. Yes, it will start and run at 5 Hz, I have verified that. If I start the lathe with the start/stop/reverse switch and then hit the JOG button while it is running then the speed with change and reflect the 5 Hz as programmed in JOG mode.

Any help at this point would be much appreciated and thank you in advance to those who reply.

I have the same drive (1hp)and i have found the programing to be glitichy to say the least.
There are errors in the manual and some combinations of parameters are not possible.
What are your settings for. F4, 6, 8,11,12,13,14.

I have the same drive (1hp)and i have found the programing to be glitichy to say the least.
There are errors in the manual and some combinations of parameters are not possible.
What are your settings for. F4, 6, 8,11,12,13,14.

Thanks for your reply Winmac. Have you got JOG working with your drive? The parameters you asked about are as follows:

F4 001
F6 000
F8 00.0
F11 000
F12 001
F13 006
F14 005

Hope you can help, thanks.

I've just been reading the manual and I think I have found my issue. I had assumed that pushing the jog button would run the lathe in forward at the set frequency. If I'm reading the manual right, I need to give both a run signal and a jog signal at the same time, then the lathe will run in forward or reverse (depending on which signal I give) at the frequency set at F36.

Sorry about wasting everyone's time, all I had to do was read.

You would think it would give itself the run command when the jog command is given, from the manual
" F11~F15=005 (Jog Frequency Command) External input terminal is set to Jog operation. When ON, the inverter will run at Jog frequency"

this is a long shot but you could change f6 to 001 then f11 becomes a start/stop and f12 fwd/rev , when f6 is 000 the vdf cannot assume what direction to rotate. *If this works you will need to change the f12 switch to a maintained contact.

I forgot to ask about f3, I encountered some issues when f3=001 it is better to reverse leeds for normal rotation or motor.

I have a very basic control for my inverter( wanted to get machine up and running) but have tested various combinations of controll

Yes, Winmac, you would think you wouldn't have to give a run command too, but here is the exact wording from the manual.

"When run signal is applied and the selected external multi-function input terminal is on and set to Jog speed, the inverter will run according to F36 setting."

You would think it would give itself the run command when the jog command is given, ...

You have to remember that a VFD can run the motor in either direction, so if it worked as you think it should in this statement, would that be Jog Fwd, or Jog Reverse?

Instead, you just give it both commands, it save on Inputs. What you CAN do is use a Jog button with two sets of contacts, one wired to the input that is programmed for Jog, the other wired to the Input for Run. That way, hitting the Jog button accomplishes both requriements.

I've just been reading the manual and I think I have found my issue. I had assumed that pushing the jog button would run the lathe in forward at the set frequency. If I'm reading the manual right, I need to give both a run signal and a jog signal at the same time, then the lathe will run in forward or reverse (depending on which signal I give) at the frequency set at F36.

Sorry about wasting everyone's time, all I had to do was read.

VFDs are real puzzle the first time you set one up. My control box has a double pole double throw momentary switch for the jog. First contact set is wired to "jog" input, second contact is wired to "forward" and "reverse". Then I can jog forward or reverse by rocking the toggle up or down. The third switch is single pole double throw that automatically sets the motor frequency to 20Hz/60Hz(aka off)/30Hz based on inputs which allows for an "electronic" back gear.

Jraef said:
You have to remember that a VFD can run the motor in either direction, so if it worked as you think it should in this statement, would that be Jog Fwd, or Jog Reverse?

Instead, you just give it both commands, it save on Inputs. What you CAN do is use a Jog button with two sets of contacts, one wired to the input that is programmed for Jog, the other wired to the Input for Run. That way, hitting the Jog button accomplishes both requirements.

Alternatively, a single-pole switch for jog and a diode from the jog input to the run input will work - a 1N4001 (common as muck, cheaper than chips) is fine, put the end with the band to the run input (assuming you're using positive volts for "true" signal).

Dave H.

I noticed nobody elaborated on this topic any further. It seems that yes you would enable the toggle to either forward or reverse while leaving the potentiometer in the off position therefore when pressing jog the programmed frequency would engage at the selected torque and ramp settings. Wouldn’t this be a secondary setting for acceleration and deceleration? It seems you would apply the source of the secondary command to the jog feature and therefore the enabled frequency should engage jog mode versus just displaying a number on the pid. Correct me if I’m wrong but you’d need this in order to avoid conflicts with source command 1 when using the toggle forward or reverse. I’m in the midst of doing this exact same installation and had similar questions looking for verification of thoughts which landed me in a 7 year old post. Good discussion it’s too bad the manuals are not a little more clear with 250 pages they read a little blunt and to the point like you should have already programmed and installed one before.

I’m in the midst of doing this exact same installation and had similar questions looking for verification of thoughts which landed me in a 7 year old post. Good discussion it’s too bad the manuals are not a little more clear with 250 pages they read a little blunt and to the point like you should have already programmed and installed one before.

"Back in the day.." "jog" was exactly that. A brutal "bang" as a pulse of full-bore power smacked a motor in its heavy-draw "starting mode" for a very short interval. Also right hard on the motor and drivetrain.

Once one has the more elegant features of a(ny) VFD (or solid-state DC Drive), the far gentler - and usually more USEFUL - implementation of a "jog" is actually a lower-energy "creep" feature.

What works for that is simple enough in concept:

- an alternate speed/freq pot set to very low Hz/RPM. Lower than would be practical for making chips, under load.

- ability to "substitute" that rig for the primary control.

And it IS in the better manuals. Already.

Mind.. nearly all these goods have more than one LEVEL of "manual" and/or supplemental technical poop sheets.

It might take extra effort to find those, download, peruse, adapt/modify, then apply (and TEST!).

But one doesn't really have to reinvent this particular wheel.

Lots of other folk needed the feature ages ago. They got it.

Back