What's new
What's new

Testing Teco FM100 VFD - Should there be voltage at T1 T2 and T3

Cephalon

Plastic
I bought a 3-phase lathe which came with a TECO FM100-203-N1 (3hp) VFD. It worked fine when I purchased it and I disconnected it from the lathe and transported the lathe and the VFD home. Fast forward two years and I decided to use the VFD for a large 3 phase drill press and Bridgeport mill. It was already wired for the 220V input to L1, L2, and L3. I connected T1, T2 and T3 to a 30 amp plug (NEMA L14-30R) so I could just plug either the drill or the mill into it as needed. I ran the ground from the plug to the ground terminal in the TECO. When I throw the breaker the TECO fan comes on and the frequency is displayed but it flashes on and off (the screen frequency display) in one second intervals. IF I turn the "Freq Adj" knob it changes, but if I push the arrow up or arrow down key it gives an error (I can't say exactly which error as some of the LED light segments appear to be burned out. It looks like maybe Err1 or Err3. I am attaching the video of the behavior.
I am curious whether anyone knows what might be wrong. I get no voltage reading from T1, T2, or T3. I am wondering if that is an issue. It seems like there should be voltage output. Any assistance appreciated. I don't know how else to test this unit.

Did you program anything or leave it as you found it? If the latter, did the old system use the keypad or control switches? It’s acting as if you are trying to operate it at the keypad but it is set up for external control.

Did you program anything or leave it as you found it? If the latter, did the old system use the keypad or control switches? It’s acting as if you are trying to operate it at the keypad but it is set up for external control.

Thank you for your response. I did not program anything or change any parameters. Of course those were all set up for a different piece of equipment (the lathe). I turned the "Freq. Adj." knob but that is about it. It was previously set up using the keypad, no external switches.

Should there be voltage showing up on T1, T2 and T3?

Your best approach is to do the "reset to factory settings" before trying to operate it. That resets the thing to the default settings that the manual assumes you will start with.

If you then operate it, in general, yes, you should get output on the motor connections.

Some VFDs will have an error if there is no load on the output, but I do not think this is one of those.

Are you asking because you DO, or because you do not get voltage?

If you check the manual, ERR1 is a keypad error from a wrong parameter.

Drive is probably programmed to run from a remote switch.

Your best approach is to do the "reset to factory settings" before trying to operate it. That resets the thing to the default settings that the manual assumes you will start with.

If you then operate it, in general, yes, you should get output on the motor connections.

Some VFDs will have an error if there is no load on the output, but I do not think this is one of those.

Are you asking because you DO, or because you do not get voltage?

I am asking because I DO NOT get any voltage at T1, T2 or T3. I do get 220V AC coming in on L1, L2 and L3, but nothing on the T1, T2 and T3 terminals.

I see that to do a factory reset I need to set the function 123 to 1111. However, if the keypad is locked out in favor of remote switches how do I do that? The manual doesn't seem to explain that anywhere that I can find. When I try to pushing the "DISPL FUNC" button the screen goes from the frequency reading to "F####" "#" being an 8, for example but if I arrow up or down it isn't like it is scrolling through a logical set of numbers. In other words, it goes from F889 to F899 to F490 etc... just random numbers from what I can tell. Often pieces of the number are missing. I would assume you should be able to scroll through the various function numbers until you get to 123, for example, and then hit "Data Enter" and enter the "1111" parameter to get a factory reset. But that doesn't ever offer itself as an option. Maybe I just don't know the proper key sequence, but I've tried several key variations and am getting no where. Any help appreciated.

The remote only operates start stop etc. Not programming.

The only other possible issue is potentially the "parameter lockout", which may have to be reset.

Considering that the display seems to be not working 100%, i wonder if there is a bad connection between the keypad/display and the vfd controller.

I would try disconnecting and reconnecting the cable on both ends.

Considering that the display seems to be not working 100%, i wonder if there is a bad connection between the keypad/display and the vfd controller.

I would try disconnecting and reconnecting the cable on both ends.

I will do this in the morning and see what happens. Thanks.

The remote only operates start stop etc. Not programming.

The only other possible issue is potentially the "parameter lockout", which may have to be reset.

How do I reset the parameter lockout? Or the whole thing back to factory settings for that matter? I mean, I know it's Fn 123 (factory reset) and enter 1111, but how do I do that? What are the appropriate key strokes to get that accomplished? Any assistance appreciated.

Are you using 220v single phase for your input? If so, what are you connecting to the 3rd terminal when you say you have input voltage on L1, L2 & L3? I have a Teco FM50 and with that you connect one line to L1 and the other to L3... no neutral used on one of the connections.

Just a thought,
Ted

How do I reset the parameter lockout? Or the whole thing back to factory settings for that matter? I mean, I know it's Fn 123 (factory reset) and enter 1111, but how do I do that? What are the appropriate key strokes to get that accomplished? Any assistance appreciated.

It's in the manual, further down. I am not sure if that is the issue with your test, but it sounds like it.

Alternately, you can just make the connections to T2 that are shown in the manual, and try the thing out for operation that way. Then, if it does work OK, you can sweat the issue of changing to keypad if you like. Remote operation is actually more convenient in most cases, as the VFD can be kept in a protected area that swarf does not get to.

I disconnected and reconnected the keypad. I get the same behavior. Frankly, I am at my wits end with this thing. Everyone keeps suggesting resetting this or that, but I can't get into a programming mode where I can reset anything.

On connector TM2:

Pin 9 - Reset
Pin 5 - Gnd

Connect Pin 9 to Pin 5 and it emulates function code 16. The manual shows a push-button switch between pin 9 and 5.

Are you using single phase power to the inverter? That model can be wired for either single phase or 3 phase input. As Technical Ted says, if you are wiring to a single phase supply you use terminals L1 and L2 only. The supply must be 230V nominal live and neutral. I know in USA that your domestic supply is 110V but with some special sockets that can provide split phase 240V for heavy power appliances such as washing machines. That gives you two hots and a neutral. You cannot use this type of supply to connect to L1, L2 and L3.

Of course if you have real 220V three phase wired to the inverter then ignore this.

Back