What's new
What's new

Three Phase from Single Phase? <10hp?

Metalcutter

Titanium
I'm thinking electronic converters rather than rotary.

Any ideas? Any one done it? It's a CNC mill. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Stan-

Phase Perfect

I have also used a 10-hp phase perfect electronic power converter for years, since at least 2005 with no trouble at all. Very good unit, and very good support if you need to talk to the manufacturer.

Regards,

Mike

I have both a 10hp PP and new 20hp PP, I prefer the sound of the new ones, but love them both. Well worth the extra money. Actually if you can get the 20hp, its about about 50% more $, not double, so its an even better deal overall. If I had just gotten the 20hp from the start, I wouldn't have ended up with 2 now, but a backup doesn't hurt :)

Thank you all for the nice replies. I'm thinking about a hobby machine in my garage.

Just for a start do you have a rough idea of a 10 hp costs?

Best regards,

Stanley Dornfeld

A 10hp mill sounds like overkill for a hobby machine in the garage. Have you considered a standard Turret (knee) mill with a CNC conversion. You can buy these brand new for $25,000 and up, used for $6,000 or more. One of these could easily be run off of a homemade rotary phase converter.

My 2005 10 HP was $2685 delivered to a nearby freight terminal. Neat thing about a 10HP, is it is a 10 HP, not some reduced number like a RPC.

Once I asked them about trying to start a 15 HP with it, they immediately responded "Give it a try, you won't hurt the PP or the motor". But I was never brave enough to try it.:)

Here are some photos of the bracket I made with built in air filter to hang the PP up on the wall. Filter keeps out the Texas bug population:

Phase Perfect pictures by johnoder - Photobucket

J.O.

Back