What's new
What's new

Three speed motor for Smart Brown lathe

beckerkumm

Hot Rolled
Against my and others better judgement, I've been trying to keep the original three speed consequent motor for my S and 1024. The windings seemed good when checked by my motor guy but he didn't have access to 600v power so he couldn't test under power. I found an original Santon switch and wired up the motor to test and all seemed well. When I installed the motor and put it under load, the high speed didn't seem to work. The motor sounds like it is trying to drop out the 4 pole winding but doesn't and starts to warm up. Low speed which should have both windings engaged seems to work. Is there a switch inside the motor that could be replaced or am I going down a rat hole with no bottom? Dave

Against my and others better judgement, I've been trying to keep the original three speed consequent motor for my S and 1024. The windings seemed good when checked by my motor guy but he didn't have access to 600v power so he couldn't test under power. I found an original Santon switch and wired up the motor to test and all seemed well. When I installed the motor and put it under load, the high speed didn't seem to work. The motor sounds like it is trying to drop out the 4 pole winding but doesn't and starts to warm up. Low speed which should have both windings engaged seems to work. Is there a switch inside the motor that could be replaced or am I going down a rat hole with no bottom? Dave

Unless.... you can get the motor shop's most-savvy guy on this type of motor (if even there IS such..) to make a "house call" to where you have the switch and DO have the appropriate power?

BECOME the expert, Plan A. "Rat hole" Plan B.

I like Plan A, meself.

It's more about research and arming-up with decent test gear and a larger ration of patience that it is about dirty hands.

Back