What's new
What's new

Transformer humming What to do about it

I have a Deckel FP2 milling machine
Powerfeed is by means of a DC motor
Now the 2phase transformer powering the drive for that motor is humming anoyingly
What can we do about that ??

Already kept my hand on it and I feel no vibration
Also cut the power to it to make sure it is that transformer

Peter

I've never tried to repair a delaminating transformer but have heard of remedies including shellac or super glue applied to the laminations.

Is it BUZZING, or humming?

Buzzing, a harsher noise, is often loose parts, like laminations, hitting together. Tighten any bolts, try to soak shellac etc into it... thin super glue I had not thought of but it is a good possibility also.

Humming, a low toned noise, is much harder to get rid of. Since it can be made worse by sheet metal acting as a sounding board, tighten up any fasteners on the sheet metal, or try rubber washers on the transformer mounting screws. If you try the washers, do not tighten the screws too much, looser is good for damping the vibration.

In the old days I learned about using clear nail polish. Today I would use something like clear varnish with a two part mix. A motor rebuild supply would have it.

Thinking about it It is bolted to the cabinet I first will unbolt it and place it on some rubber
If that is effective I can somehow isolate it from the cabinet
If that is not helping I ask my motor rebuilder
There is no easy fix then
Size is about 20x20x20 cm

Peter

There is also magnetostriction, where the core deforms under the magnetic flux. With typical transformer iron it is not great but is there. Since it is a normal part of transformer operation, you are stuck with it.

Bill

Ear defenders (earmuffs) - much better for you in the long run.

I'm so glad I started wearing them pretty religiously back in the early 90's. I can still hear pretty well after 40+ years in the trade, and that's priceless.

Just to back that post up, it was precisely this sort of situation that got me wearing them. We'd gotten a Bridgeport V2XT (a pretty nice factory 3-axis conversion of a 2J), but the one downside was an annoying squeal from the servos.

I started wearing the muffs then, and have that machine to *thank* for still being able to hear well.

Unmount and see if changes.

It could be directly culled to the sheet stock that amplifies it.

Rubber stand off easy fix.

It may be loose windings so mix some epoxy and thin with acetone.

With spoon drip it into the windings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back