What's new
What's new

Help Removing Brake from Baldor 3 Phase Motor

Nemesis

Aluminum
I am in the process of repowering a Grob NS-18 band saw that I purchased. It came with a 550 volt, 3 phase motor. I am replacing that motor with a low voltage 3 phase motor so that I can run a VFD on the saw. I came across a great deal on a brand new Baldor BM3546T electric motor with integrated brake. For my purposes and because I will be running this on a VFD, from what I have read it is preferable not to run a motor with a brake. For that reason I am removing the brake from the motor. I have already physically removed the brake which came apart easily. The brake was powered by two wires that are directly wired into the motor itself. The two wires are both labeled "J". In the panel on the motor, none of the wires are labeled "J". Instead there are the typical 9 wires labeled 1 through 9. I have included a picture of the wires coming out of the motor. In this picture I removed the actual back plate of the motor to terminate the wires inside of the motor itself. That way I will not have them hanging outside of the motor for no reason. My question is should my two wires for the brake labeled "J" be connected together or should they be left separate?

Thank you for your help!

Specs on the motor:

Manufacturer: Baldor
Model: BM3546T
HP: 1
Voltage: 208-230/460 VAC
RPM: 1725
Frame: 143T
Phase: 3 Phase

Baldor Motor - BM3546T - Image 001.jpg

I'll take a stab at answering this thread.

It's been awhile since I've dismantled and worked on the type of motor described.
The "J" typically denotes a capacitor connection, "but" it may also imply some adjunct component such as a brake in this instance.

The two leads mentioned are tapped from the motor winding to provide necessary potential to drive the brake coil.
They should be insulated and not be connected together.

Again... going on memory... the brake coil itself is likely dual voltage and depending
on what voltage the motor is operated at, the brake must be connected for that proper operating voltage also.

Answer: Leave brake leads disconnected, but insulate any exposed portion of the wires because
they are "live" when the motor is powered.

John

Back