What's new
What's new

Transforming converter voltage

Don Gitzel

Aluminum
Converting 3 phase voltage from 230 to 600 on a y -delta transformer should one be concerned about the high reference to ground in the generated phase. Should you disconnect the reference to ground on the transformer? How about an auto transformer?

Converting 3 phase voltage from 230 to 600 on a y -delta transformer should one be concerned about the high reference to ground in the generated phase. Should you disconnect the reference to ground on the transformer? How about an auto transformer?

?? If a transformer's secondary is a basic Delta, it HAS NO "reference to ground". That's the whole point. It is in "float" until something else is done with it.

If one then corner-grounds it, or it has a tap for the purpose that is then utilized, or if the nature of the connected load modifies the overall situation, THEN there's a change to the environment.

PM community includes several members who have expertise in Canadian power distribution systems and Code.

Can you share the nature of your planned use and see what their advice is?

I was concerned with the y primary with the centre grounded. I was talking to a guy who said when he wired his Phase Converter to a y delta transformer, there was a substantial current to Ground. He said he rectified this by removing the centre grounding conductor.

I was concerned with the y primary with the centre grounded. I was talking to a guy who said when he wired his Phase Converter to a y delta transformer, there was a substantial current to Ground. He said he rectified this by removing the centre grounding conductor.

"Ignored" rather than "rectified".

But, no, you do NOT want to tie the Wye primary's crotch to Earth (or to Neutral), when it is fed off an RPC .. or for that matter, a Phase-Perfect (verboten, right in the manual) nor probably not a VFD EITHER.

f he had the wye part on the primary, the converter output, then yes, he needed to disconnect the wye point.

The converter output maintains the neutral as it wa for the incoming 240V, so it is NOT the neutral for the 3 phase. The output is pretty much the same thing as high leg/stinger/farm/lighting tap 3 phase.
I

Back