What's new
What's new

Troubleshooting Emco MAXIMAT V13 Engine Lathe Power

MadHattan

Plastic
Problem: when I rotate the power switch on the Emco MAXIMAT V13 Engine Lathe the lathe does not operate. I hear and see no visual indication of power.

I acquired an Emco MAXIMAT V13 Engine Lathe and I am wiring it up for the first time. I can not find any documentation from Emco on how to wire it up, but I took detailed notes on how it was wired up at it's last home.

Breaker 220v -> Main Switch -> Rotary Phase Converter 3 Phase -> X Lathe

From the Breaker I have 220v going to my Phase-A-Matic Rotary Phase Converter then 3-Phase power going to the lathe. When I throw the main switch, the Phase-A-Matic Rotary Phase Converter seems to run just fine. The converter sounds good and the RPM's appear to be normal. My problem is where the 3-phase power wires connect to the lathe. I'd like to verify that I have it wired correctly but I lack the Emco diagram. Can anyone assist with advice or diagrams?

Thanks!

Information Update

Update: I disconnected the wires to the Lathe and metered them with the following results:

T1-T2: 240v
T1-T3: 220v
T2-T3: 250v
T1-N:121v
T2-N:220v
T3-N:98v

I assume I correctly identified T1, T2, T3, and N.

The new question is how normal are my readings?

Rotary-Converter-Connection.jpg

Update: I disconnected the wires to the Lathe and metered them with the following results:

T1-T2: 240v
T1-T3: 220v
T2-T3: 250v
T1-N:121v
T2-N:220v
T3-N:98v

I assume I correctly identified T1, T2, T3, and N.

The new question is how normal are my readings?

View attachment 284275

Lucky you!

Try removing the back cover of the electrical box - the Super11 has the wire diagram. I bet yours does as well.
Also, the inside cover of the motor junction box [small j-box attached to the motor] should show the winding-configurations. [Delta vs Double-Wye(Dahlander)] etc. This will just tell you how the motor can be wired, not how it is switched.

German language manual here has a couple wire diagrams. Not sure if that's useful.

https://www.emco.or.at/index.php/do...hinen/61-maximat-v13-bedienungsanleitung/file
https://www.emco.or.at/index.php/do...rehmaschinen/62-maximat-v13-serviceteile/file

For the Super 11 there were a few different versions - a plain and a 'safety electric' with different switch configurations -- safety electric has a second Yellow/Red rotary switch. There is a schematic manual for that. Let me know if you need it.

There's an EmcoSuper11 group where i bet some folks know about your lathe. [email protected] | Home

-Dave

Back