What's new
What's new

Trying to add external switch to Dust Collector

cosmos_275

Hot Rolled
Questions for electrical types. I bought a new dust collector. My previous one was homemade. It has a 1/3 or 1/2 (can’t remember) hp motor which turned on and off from basically a light switch. The new one has a single phase 120V 1.5 hp motor. The on/off switch that comes with it is pretty cheesy. It has a keychain remote and momentary buttons for on and off on the case.

I’d like to turn this thing on and off from multiple locations around the shop including a relay output from the CNC router where the on off commands can be embedded in the g code. Digging into this thing, it appear the on and off signals from the switch are momentary. Pictured: terminals 1 and 2 connected momentarily turn it on, and momentarily breaking the normally closed 2-3 connection turn it off. I was hoping to tee into this with relay outputs, but they wouldn’t be momentary signals.

Is there a way to get a momentary output from a continuous one? I’m not sure it there is a type of relay for this.

Alternatively, I could chuck the whole can and replace it with a presumably better motor starter, but I’m not sure which type I need. Maybe this guy: mcmaster (motor says 19A @120V, 10A @240V, so I’d rewire it for 240 while I’m at it)

Advice is appreciated.

dc_wiring2.jpg

Talked to dude on tech support. He was very helpful. The board runs the remote, so I can chuck it in the trash, pull the blacks and whites from the board and switch those directly from a relay. The only overload protection is 25A circuit breaker, so I guess a motor starter is not required.. Thanks

Back