What's new
What's new

two issues - noisy relay feeding WJ200 and no terminal input respones

ezzzzzzz

Plastic
I've wired up my WJ200 using an Eaton power relay (240v). The 115v control is initially activated using a momentary power switch. It is latched by being back fed from one leg of the load side of the relay. The neutral side of the latching coil goes through a stop button. Applying power energizes the coil latching the relay feeding 240 to the WJ200. The problem is the relay buzzes loudly. You can feel the relay buzzing and pressing on it doesn't quiet it down. Is there suppose to be some type of bleeding resistor or capacitor to to eliminate this? Is the relay bad or just my install?
Second, I've wired in a run button through a forward and reverse switch to the first 2 intelligent inputs. I've set the parameter A002 = 01 but the switch doesn't command a response (the bridgeport doesn't start to run). Any ideas?

Put on your reading glasses and check the coil voltage.

Or the relay is shot.....fished it out of the trash at work, eh?

And why are you switching the neutral leg? That's a big NFPA no-no; the neutral is NOT to be broken.

Several things can make a relay buzz. Feeding it the wrong coil voltage, rust film on the faces of the coil steel laminations, broken shading pole on the ocil, giving it AC instead of DC or vice-versa, etc. If you're giving it the right voltage (please check the coil carefully and check the voltage present with a decent meter), then the reasonable thing to do is replace the contactor/starter. You can replace the bare coil itself, but that only eliminates maybe 20% of the things that can make your coil buzz.

I must ask, why are you putting a relay on the line side of your drive??? A very typical, safe and sensible method protects the drive with either a breaker or fuses..no need to be switching the line side on and off. All other functions of the drive are controlled through the logic buss.

Much wiser to leave the drive powered all the time..much like you do with your microwave, TV and your kitchen range!! Solid state likes to be kept ON, warm and cozy.

Stuart

A contactor on the line side is sort of designer's choice. Maybe not "normal", but nothing expressly wrong with it. Sometimes done to facilitate LOTO requirements on multi-drive machines as well. Heck, I have a vertical band saw that has this arrangement from the factory. If I had my druthers, I'd rather see him use the relay on the enable terminals of the drive and not the line side also, but my gut tells me his only "local disconnect" is a cord and plug arrangement, and he's switching the line side to eliminate parasitic loads when the machine is not in use (since it is unlikely to ever be unplugged).

The terminal input issue turned out to be a broken 24g wire that was still seated in the run switch. Back to the relay, I'm using the original Bridgeport power panel that was fitted to the back of the mill. It has been relocated to a sidewall next to the mill within easy reach. The panel was gutted except for the main power switch, fuse block, terminal block and latching relay. A Hitachi WJ200 VFD was also fitted to provide the 3 phase power needed. I should have stated that the relay is being used only as an emergency cutout, not the main power switching source. I modified the front panel to fit power, rotation selector, run, power feed and emergency stop switches that were located on the knee of the mill originally. Power is applied and removed using the original rotary power switch which energizes the relay. The relay is held in a closed state using back fed 110v from one load side of the relay. The other load side supplies the power feed outlet. I rewired the emergency switch into the back fed side powering the latching coil and left the neutral side grounded. If I need to kill the power quickly the emergency switch drops out the VFD and power feed simultaneously although the spindle will still be free turning until it comes to a stop. The noisy relay is as old as the mill which dates it back to the later 80's. A new relay is ordered and should arrive any day now. That should resolve the noise issue.

Back