Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by homer14 View Post
    k. after the fun of searching parts and watching videos, talking to experts, etc. ive decided to order a phase converter panel. when i get it i will tweak it using the fitch model and capacitor tuning. i hope to save some money and speed this up by going this route while also still learning and understanding what is going on in the panel plus fine tuning it as i would have done if building my own.

stay tuned!
    It doesn't make a great deal of SENSE to purchase a 100% functional unit .. not "just" RPC.. most things ... only to immediately re-engineer it.

It MAY already BE the classical design we acredit to Fitch Williams. His was cleanly laid out and explained. That is not the same as "new" nor "unique", either one.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unit arrived, Will check it out soon. I need to grab some wire from the store and run it to the location in the shop. Will follow-up after that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the install instructions in the delivered product call for 6 gauge copper to the starter from my single phase end. the Fitch stuff speaks of #10 thhn stranded wire. is fitch only talking about between the starter and the 10hp motor with the #10?

on this website it looks like #10 thhn can do 40 amps, #8 50 amps, and #6 75 amps. wouldnt i just send two single phases (and a ground) over #10 thhn to this starter as in fitch diagrams or am i misunderstanding the fitch diagrams?

Ampacity Charts - Cerrowire

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the install instructions in the delivered product call for 6 gauge copper to the starter from my single phase end.
    Unless you know something about what the maker of a "store-bought" unit did that they do NOT know?

Use NO LESS than what they specified.

I'd be using #4. Because I have it, 5 colours, 100-foot spool, each.

Copper always costs more next year than it did LAST year, so I tend to buy mine multiple YEARS in advance.

5. Likes homer14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the install instructions in the delivered product call for 6 gauge copper to the starter from my single phase end. the Fitch stuff speaks of #10 thhn stranded wire. is fitch only talking about between the starter and the 10hp motor with the #10?

on this website it looks like #10 thhn can do 40 amps, #8 50 amps, and #6 75 amps. wouldnt i just send two single phases (and a ground) over #10 thhn to this starter as in fitch diagrams or am i misunderstanding the fitch diagrams?

Ampacity Charts - Cerrowire
    Your not reading that chart correctly. For circuits 100A and smaller, you are required to use the 60°C column, unless the terminals at each end are approved for 75°C.

For circuits over 100A, the 75°C column applies.

The 90°C column is only used for de-rating purposes, when you have more than three current carrying conductors.

If your using Romex, (NM-B} the 60° column applies, no matter what the size of the circuit is.

SAF Ω

Additional: On the Fitch instructions under power cord, he calls for a #8 AWG minimum protected at 40A.
    Power cord. This unit should have at least an 8-3 SO power cord wired to a 40A 240V plug. Use a matching receptacle on the wall, feed from a 40A-circuit breaker/circuit with #8 wire minimum. Use the same type of cord to connect the idler motor to the control enclosure.

7. Likes homer14 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thanks saf and thermite, i was staring at thhn on that chart. ill grab some #6 nm-b.

9. Likes SAF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You might want to look at pricing out some #4 AWG aluminum SE cable for a rating of 55A @ 60°C.

Alu #4 w/4 conductors $1.21 ft. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...-205001802-_-N

Your local stock and pricing may vary. 3 conductor Aluminum SE cable would be cheaper, but this box store doesn't list it as a stock item.

Cu #6 NM-B w/3 conductors $1.26 ft. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...4402/300312622

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SAF View Post
    You might want to look at pricing out some #4 AWG aluminum SE cable for a rating of 55A @ 60°C.

Alu #4 w/4 conductors $1.21 ft. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...-205001802-_-N

Your local stock and pricing may vary. 3 conductor Aluminum SE cable would be cheaper, but this box store doesn't list it as a stock item.

Cu #6 NM-B w/3 conductors $1.26 ft. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwir...4402/300312622
    Shiney wood?

Fuck NO!

Leave that to the utility side of a meter. They know how.
    Why did you think it was marked "SE" for Service ENTRANCE"?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SAF View Post

Shiney wood?

Fuck NO!

Leave that to the utility side of a meter. They know how.

Why did you think it was marked "SE" for Service ENTRANCE?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I grabbed some 6/2 copper because it was available and nearby in appropriate length. will wire up as soon as i choke my kids, mow the lawn, put up a hillbilly pool, and get a bit further on a motor rebuild... ill follow up.

any new cat stories in the meantime? i want a hairless cat.