What's new
What's new

Us motors

Benjie

Plastic
Hello my name is Benjie I am new to this forum I’ve looked through it for quite a while lots of good info I’m trying to get any info on a phase converter I just picked up it will run a lathe and a kysor Johnson model j. I’m trying to get some information on the motor for the phase converter. I was told it was a 7 horse the only markings I can find are us motors and it says aspestos insulated protected I believe it is from the 50’s or 60’s. I would like to do any maintenance to it it might need I know the guy I got it from said all he did was grease the two zert fitting a couple times a year. Any info would be appreciated. I’m trying to upload photos it’s a little difficult.

41e7750fdce51fd160a52f9110ea61df.jpg

6377cb41e3b832832ecf572cad19655b.jpg

1cb34ececd36124f22e36792beb5ce3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there more to this converter other than the motor? Not sure how you are loading pics, but I cannot enlarge them. In first pic it looks like a tag on side of motor, if so lets see it.

As for the motor, you could replace bearings and slap a coat of paint on it, or just run it if bearings are good. If there is a bank of capacitors you might consider replacing caps, or just run it.

Yes there is the converter box everything works the only markings on the motor are us motors aspestos protected it’s on the last photo that’s the only markings on it. I’ve never worked on a motor even near this big I was hoping to remove all the old grease and replace the motor it is about 15” in diameter and 20” long probably weighs 300 lbs I was told it ran in a mill then the machine shop. I would love to pull all the old grease out I’m sure a lot of it has turned to oil but don’t want to damage anything I was told it was 7 hp thanks for any help. Benjie

If it has grease ports then it means the bearings are not shielded most likely (or else how would the grease get in?)

Be careful about the asbestos. Bad stuff. Don't make any dust out of whatever is inside there, and don't breathe it.

I would clean the whole thing off real good and pull the end bearings. Clean out all the old grease with rags and mineral spirits and a brush. Put it all back and re-grease.

If its quiet right now, then the bearings are good and don't need to be replaced.

Remove the electrical box cover on the motor. Sometimes there is a connection diagram with information. It's the best place to keep the diagram.

If you use those zerks then you have to use the same grease as before.
People who think that a zerk with some grease every once in a while is better than a permanently sealed bearing just don't know.

Thank you for the replies I just want this to last another 50 years. But if you guys think I should leave it alone I will. I just wanted to clean it out and remove all the old grease. What about pulling the band / cover that wraps the up and over to clean the old dust out. To be honest I wanted to look at the inside of it. Or as I said I’ll just leave it alone thank you for all the advise. Benjie

Yay, asbestos.

If you absolutely have to work inside of that motor for any reason... respirator and Tyvek suit. Outside. Down wind of everyone and anything valuable.

I've got a few asbestos-lined switch enclosures that I don't mind keeping in active service because the fibers are not disturbed during normal use. A fan-cooled motor however is an entirely different story. Be sure the asbestos is not fraying inside that motor and getting blown out into your shop by it's fan.

Normally I'm all for preserving old antiques and keeping them running, but depending on it's internal condition, it may or may not be time to retire this one. Or at least put a HEPA 'diaper' of some sort on it's ventilation ports.

Unless it's a TENV motor. Then you're golden.

Thanks for the concern just wondering where the asbestos in the motor would be wire insulation or in the windings covered with varnish? Trying to see if it is inside not encapsulated if it is coated I don’t think there would be a problem does anybody know. I’ve been in electric motor service shops where they are using compressed air to clean up parts on old motors

Thanks for the replies I’m going to leave it alone and run at as is I’m trying to figure out the hp no markings on it so I will mybe never know owner said he thought it was 7 hp thanks

The asbestos in US motors was in the slot lining material. Once wound the entire stator assembly would typically be sealed in varnish, so the asbestos shouldn't be a problem for what you want to do.

Back