What's new
What's new

Used rpc blew

John.t.little1

Aluminum
Picked up a used rpc 10hp wired it up it ran my lathe fine powered it down came back went to power it up again and the drum in the motor sounded like it was scraping. Sparks and smoke everywhere. Took it apart and two parts of the windings are burnt on both sides. Any idea the cause? image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Is that the lathe motor or the RPC idler?

If the lathe motor, maybe there is a problem with the RPC wiring or switching....

If the RPC, then possibly the start setup did not properly disengage, assuming it has a relay for starting. That could affect both motors, actually.....

how old of a motor ? many older motors can not take the voltage spikes from vfds.

Considering that an RPC is an ALTERNATIVE TO a VFD for making 3 phase, maybe that was not a factor....... :D

Considering that an RPC is an ALTERNATIVE TO a VFD for making 3 phase, maybe that was not a factor....... :D
Where is the face palm emoticon? I had vfd in my head.... It has been one of those months....

Have you been able to verify your wiring? Over current could have done that, or over heating.

I wired it exactly how the instructions stated and there was no relays in the motor it was just 8 caps 4 start 4 run.
image.jpg
it was the rpc idler. I had the wires ran from the panel to a 40a fused disconnect than to the rpc from the rpc to a 20a fused disconnect and lastly to the lathe. The L2 40a fuse is the only fuse to go out. Also threw the breaker.

In pic #1 at about 11 o'clock, there is a little white particle on the winding - what is it?, also there is a scrape mark on the rotor. Was there a bit of swarf rattling about?
Frank

That armature looks like it has been rode hard and put away wet. I'm betting it was at the end of it's lifespan.

It happens. And that bearing looks like it's been beat like a red headed step child.

Just sayin'.

In pic #1 at about 11 o'clock, there is a little white particle on the winding - what is it?, also there is a scrape mark on the rotor. Was there a bit of swarf rattling about?
Frank

That is one of the winding leads. It most likely needs a rewind, and some new bearings.

Hmmm... my bet, is that it was probably compromised before you bought it... if not, I'll second JST's suggestion that the starting circuit didn't disengage properly. That's certainly smoked...

Hmmm... my bet, is that it was probably compromised before you bought it... if not, I'll second JST's suggestion that the starting circuit didn't disengage properly. That's certainly smoked...

Putting that together with the following, there seems to be confusion....

I wired it exactly how the instructions stated and there was no relays in the motor it was just 8 caps 4 start 4 run.

if true, there really is a problem.... what disconnects the start capacitors?

It's perfectly possible that the caps do double duty.

I have an Arco RPC, with one capacitor for run/start. The rotor has dual "windings", thin copper on top, and fat aluminum buried. The top winding works on start, and has higher resistance, giving good start torque (lots of phase shift).

The higher inductance buried "windings" take over when the slip frequency gets low enough, and provide a low slip operation. That makes it start easily, so the run cap can operate as a start cap, without the high slip normal with a high resistance rotor.

If yours uses a similar system, it might use only one cap , made up of the 8 you see, paralleled. If so, it might be good to check to see the caps are not shorted....... Shorted start caps might easily cause a problem such as you have.

Back