What's new
What's new

Variable speed control for Baldor buffer motor?

michaelkellett

Plastic
I have a Baldor model 410B buffer that is simply too fast and too powerful for the size pieces that I am typically trying to polish, and I would like to slow the motor down with a speed control. Is this possible?

It's a 1.5hp, single phase, 60hz, 115v motor drawing 13.8 amps, so it requires something with a relatively high capacity. I tried one of the cheapo router speed controllers from HFT and it immediately blew the fuse in the controller (of course).

FWIW the motor currently runs at 3600 rpm.

I have a Baldor 3 phase buffer motor that I control with a VFD, been running for years with no problems even though Baldor says not to do it... I imagine if you were running it under heavy load the motor may not be able to shed the heat properly from the windings given it has no cooling.

For single phase I really don't know, I think those speed controllers are normally used with brushed AC motors... I'm sure other members will have better answers.

I have a Baldor model 410B buffer that is simply too fast and too powerful for the size pieces that I am typically trying to polish, and I would like to slow the motor down with a speed control. Is this possible?

It's a 1.5hp, single phase, 60hz, 115v motor drawing 13.8 amps, so it requires something with a relatively high capacity. I tried one of the cheapo router speed controllers from HFT and it immediately blew the fuse in the controller (of course).

FWIW the motor currently runs at 3600 rpm.

That motor is not a good match for speed control other than it's normal sync with 60 cycle lines operation.

You will be ahead to get a 3ph buffer and a VFD or just get a 1725 rpm buffer.

A buffer at 3600 rpm is odd, I thought the buffers from Baldor were 1725 rpm.

You can play around with buff diameters. sfpm is the real function of importance when buffing. Higher is NOT better for every substrate.

Many single phase grinders are "PSC" motors that will work with a single phase output type VFD, (which are available). Also works a bit less well with a triac type motor speed control.

Problem with the single phase VFDs is that they tend to be set up to start at line frequency, then slow to the set speed. That helps most such motors to start well, but can be an issue with a high inertia load like a grinder, the motor may not start effectively in a short start cycle at full frequency.

Back