What's new
What's new

VFD with a 2 speed NECO Dahlander motor

Pawcu

Plastic
Help needed please: VFD for a 2 speed NECO Dahlander motor

Hello everyone. New member here.
I know it's already been asked around here about putting a VFD with a dahlander motor however I think I've hit somewhat of a wall in my case. Let me start off by saying that I am not an electrician and although I do thinker a bit, 3 Phase power is still relatively new to me. I've read a bit about 3 phase motors and I think I have a general idea of a delta and wye configuration motors.
So I've recently come across a bridgeport series J milling machine for a steal of a price (atleast I think it is :D). Unfortunately I only have single phase 230V power in my garage and the milling machine runs off 3 phase power. In my country (Malta) we have 230V phase to neutral and 400V phase to phase on 3 phase power. I've been looking at single phase to 3 phase VFDs and RPC however I have a couple of issues:
1) I believe I have a dahlander motor with 380/440v (cannot seem to find any vfd which outputs 440V from 230V single phase - closest one I found is this one: vfd 2.2kw 1.5kw 0.75kw 220v single phase input 380v 3 phase output AC Frequency Inverter AC drives /frequency converter Nf|Inverters & Converters| - AliExpress). Reason I'm thinking this is a dahlander motor is because it has 2 speeds forward and 2 speeds reverse. IMG-20210708-WA0001.jpg I'm not sure how exactly its working right now especially since as I mentioned our voltage is 400V phase to phase (milling is still at my friends garage) but I do know there is a control box on the side which houses a transformer and a bunch of contactors so I believe those have something to do with it.
2) The bridgeport has a power feed on the x axis (I believe it is the 6F model) and an inbuilt lubrication pump which are all connected to a control box driven off the 3 phase power so using a VFD means I have to find another solution for these. I believe if I understood correctly a RPC would help in this case as I would just connect the whole milling machine to it but I cannot seem to find any small ones (and reasonably priced) for my case especially here in Malta.
At this point I'm running out of ideas on what I could do. Another option would be to swap out the motor with a modern 3 phase motor that I can control from a VFD but then I have to get into the hassle of fitting the motor to the pulleys etc.
Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you and apologies if I am missing any details.

Last edited:
I think you're right. That is why I would like to find a solution to get to 440V 3phase.that way if I need to reduce the speed I can just use the vfd for that.

The VFD that you linked to will be fine for the spindle motor, I have a similar 2 speed motor on a Beaver Mill and use an Egogoo 2.2Kw version also from Aliexpress. I use another mini VDF to drive the coolant pump (About $40.00 from Aliexpress), this drive is permanently set to 50Hz while the spindle drive can be varied as required.

Back