What's new
What's new

VFD for 2hp 220 1100rpm sander, no motor plate

spoonycoot

Plastic
My brother just bought a 20 disc sander. No brand and no motor plate, just a plate on the pedestal with the specs I listed. It doesn’t even look like it ever had a motor plate. I know you should size the vfd on fla, but we don’t know it.

What can we do to add a vfd?

Verify that it is 3 phase vs. single phase motor. Is the 1100 the motor speed, spindle speed or something like SFM? Can you take a speed reading off of the motor with a tachometer?

The FLA of a 3 phase 2Hp motor on 230V runs around 5.8-6.8A, if you look at the VFD rated output they typically can deliver higher current than this, so 7-8A for a 1.5 kW model, like the WJ200-015SF is rated at 8.0A, Teco E510 is 7.5A. On some of the VFDs you can do static autotune which will determine some of the motor parameters. The assumption would be that the motor is a 4P 1750 RPM, you would need to estimate the FLA in the parameter file unless information is available from the manufacturer. You can set the overload current level to something like 120% of FLA. I would start out with 5.8A @230V for the VFD parameters.

I recommend a VFD that accepts an external braking resistor, which will probably be needed. There is a significant amount of inertia in the larger disc sanders which can trip the VFD over voltage setting on deceleration if using electronic braking. Some of the less expensive VFDs do not have this option.

Back