What's new
What's new

VFD Advanced functions I/O and PLC are you using them?

Jarrod

Aluminum
I'm about set to get a new VFD for my Hardinge 2nd op and I've narrowed it down to a few models... for the usual 3 phase conversion of course, but I'm strongly starting to debate about ponying up for a more advance VFD, with onboard PLC capability amongst other things.

I can see myself tinkering towards some automated or semi-automated setup on this machine, so I was just curious if anyone has explored the more advanced capabilities of new vfds? Im looking at Leeson A510 and Control Techniques 200 or 300 (which have expandable function blocks)

I know CNC is the way to go, but I have neither the space nor budget at the moment and I have access to CNC equipment at work, so I'll leave it there for now.

Thoughts welcome and appreciated.

J.

If you are considering more sophisticated features - the M200..M300 drives lack feedback and if you are going to want positioning capabilities, you should step up to the M700 which has a built in motion controller . . . you can add another drive and do coordinated motion as well. For instance - setting up this for a lathe allows tremendous flexibility for controlling the carriage axis as a function of the spindle axis with geared following that you can start / stop / adjust at will.

This drive has a built in PLC and can talk Modbus TCP to a broad range of I/O and HMI options. For simple systems we have paired them with Direct Logic PLCs and C-Vue HMIs for some pretty capable motion applications.

The last Superbowl coin toss was recorded using a camera on the end of a CT M700 + DL405 + C-Vue HMI that echoed to an iPad . . . worked great!

The new M750 HD digital drive is perhaps even better, and has universal feedback capability

Last edited:
just curious about your plan as i'm embarking on a similar path..
considering the hardinge has not 1 but 3 separate 3 phase motors to get braking, speed control and coolant functionality.

i was running off of a RPC but that's not an option anymore so was thinking three individual VFD's would be the best choice, using the right side tool tray section as an 'enclosure'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question Vangaurd,

The long and short is automate whatever process I end up with. I'm
not doing anything at the moment, since I have the machine in pieces.
The idea was to be able to switch between spindle speeds (via the vfd), based on the cutting requiremnt as a function of the turret position. Would also be able to switch coolant on or off, and possibly actuate the turret. Clearly this would need more than just the vfd, perhaps a microcontroller, in addition to a bunch of other devices, but it would be a great project and provide a pretty significant upgrade to my 40s era machine.

The three vfd idea sounds good. Especially if they can talk to eachother!

I used the M700 for a spindle motor control, via HMI screen, and used the single output switch to control the coolant pump. You can configure the switch to look at one certain parameter within the VFD. I found some generic parameter that I could change via the HMI, the switch would change state and fire a relay. Relay in turn fired the motor starter. Worked well.

Another satisfied person with Motion Guru's advise on VFD's and motors.

Dave

Back