What's new
What's new

VFD for CNC

Thissideup

Plastic
Hey guys, I bought a new 14/40 3 hp lathe and during shipping the motor cover that houses the capacitors got bumped and caused a short when I plugged it in which fried the 3 hp single phase motor. So while I lick my wounds I figured I might as well put a 3 phase with vfd. Just wondering what I need to tell the electrician to be sure I get a vfd that can be controlled by cnc in the future when I convert the machine.

Tia
Scott
537A8111-6B8F-44A0-B209-2FFB3467D5A7.jpg537A8111-6B8F-44A0-B209-2FFB3467D5A7.jpg537A8111-6B8F-44A0-B209-2FFB3467D5A7.jpg

Not sure who the right source is, given your location. If this is for hobby use, pick up a Teco or one of Wolf Automation's house brand (the name escapes me at the moment). If this is for daily use in a real shop then it's a different story. Both of those VFDs are fine and will last basically infinitely long in a hobby shop, but I might go for a higher quality unit if it's going to be used eight hours a day (although I suspect the machine probably will not last in the environment).

Very few modern VFDs won't work with CNC, but it can't hurt to double check the manual for whatever you're looking at.

Also, there are others on this forum who will be offended that you're breaking the 'no import discussion' rule (which does not seem to have been enforced of late). In the future you can phrase your question without providing proof of the machine you bought and people will usually pass over it without a mention.

Thanks for the info and the heads up. This machine will be sort of a in between, will be used in my shop mainly to make aluminum bushings, not a every day thing.

Not sure who the right source is, given your location. If this is for hobby use, pick up a Teco or one of Wolf Automation's house brand (the name escapes me at the moment). If this is for daily use in a real shop then it's a different story. Both of those VFDs are fine and will last basically infinitely long in a hobby shop, but I might go for a higher quality unit if it's going to be used eight hours a day (although I suspect the machine probably will not last in the environment).

Very few modern VFDs won't work with CNC, but it can't hurt to double check the manual for whatever you're looking at.

Also, there are others on this forum who will be offended that you're breaking the 'no import discussion' rule (which does not seem to have been enforced of late). In the future you can phrase your question without providing proof of the machine you bought and people will usually pass over it without a mention.

Back