What's new
What's new

VFD enclosure clearance sizing?

Solarbell

Aluminum
I am looking at various (lower cost) VFD's and determining for each of them what enclosure size I will need based on the published specifications and owners manuals. I would rather not get too big of an enclosure as I don't have a lot fo mounting space. The enclosures will be fan vented, etc., and all have specifications for clearances top/bottom/sides However none of them seem to have specifications for clearance between front of the VFD and the front of the enclosure. Is there a common front clearance I should plan for?

I am looking at various (lower cost) VFD's and determining for each of them what enclosure size I will need based on the published specifications and owners manuals. I would rather not get too big of an enclosure as I don't have a lot fo mounting space. The enclosures will be fan vented, etc., and all have specifications for clearances top/bottom/sides However none of them seem to have specifications for clearance between front of the VFD and the front of the enclosure. Is there a common front clearance I should plan for?
Irrelevant. The minimum top, bottom and sides are for unrestricted air flow. The front is not involved in that. Just don't let the door hit it...
That said, the more easilly the air can flow in the box, the better. Heat is the #1 killer of VFDs, accounting for >90% of the field failures.

Heat x time = failure.

Back