What's new
What's new

VFD Experience & Recommendation Request

WickedTwins

Plastic
Hello Everyone, I've read your information for a while now but this is my first post. I'm asking for some of your experience and insight. I recently purchased a used Bridgeport Mill with a 2HP 230V 3 phase motor. It's specs are:

US Electrical Motor
230V
Max Load Amp at 230V: 5.8 AMPS
HP: 2
Phase: 3
Cycles: 50/60
Duty Cycle: 2 HP Continuous, 3 HP 30 Minute Intermittent

Since this is for my house, I have to convert from 1 phase to 3 phase for the motor. I've read through several posts and it appears the Hitachi VFDs are a good choice. I think the correct Hitachi VFD for my situation would be the Hitachi WJ200-015SF VFD. This is were I would like your insights. First, would you agree with this size VFD? Second, if this VFD is a good choice, should I consider sizing up to the Hitachi WJ200-022SF. The 022SF is the next choice up and has a higher HP / AMP rating. Lastly, would anyone recommend the FUJI, Schneider, or Dayton brand VFD's. Each has a comparable VFD as the Hitachi 015SF. I'm not a commercial machinist. I'm trying to learn and this is something I always wanted to do. So, the mill won't be pushed to its limits by any means.

Thank you for any info / experience you can offer. I would appreciate it.

The difference in price is roughly $40 for one more horse. Pretty cheap upgrade for moving from 2hp to 3hp.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone, I've read your information for a while now but this is my first post. I'm asking for some of your experience and insight. I recently purchased a used Bridgeport Mill with a 2HP 230V 3 phase motor. It's specs are:

US Electrical Motor
230V
Max Load Amp at 230V: 5.8 AMPS
HP: 2
Phase: 3
Cycles: 50/60
Duty Cycle: 2 HP Continuous, 3 HP 30 Minute Intermittent

Since this is for my house, I have to convert from 1 phase to 3 phase for the motor. I've read through several posts and it appears the Hitachi VFDs are a good choice. I think the correct Hitachi VFD for my situation would be the Hitachi WJ200-015SF VFD. This is were I would like your insights. First, would you agree with this size VFD? Second, if this VFD is a good choice, should I consider sizing up to the Hitachi WJ200-022SF. The 022SF is the next choice up and has a higher HP / AMP rating. Lastly, would anyone recommend the FUJI, Schneider, or Dayton brand VFD's. Each has a comparable VFD as the Hitachi 015SF. I'm not a commercial machinist. I'm trying to learn and this is something I always wanted to do. So, the mill won't be pushed to its limits by any means.

Thank you for any info / experience you can offer. I would appreciate it.

That drive should be fine, and is rated for a single-phase input delivering the full spec of the drive. I have the 1hp version of that drive on my BPort, and two of those drives running the motors on a VanNorman mill.

I don't see a reason to go to the 022SF.

You may or may not want a braking resistor to enable more rapid stopping... you can search the forum for discussions about power tapping with a bport and whether you would want a braking resistor for that. I put one on and it certainly can stop and reverse the mill much faster, allowing more controlled power tapping IMHO.

I have had good experience with the Hitachi WJ200, have done several hundred installs with them. I think you may have an issue finding them in stock at this point, most of the vendors are out of the WJ200-022SF, some have stock of the WJ200-015SF (like Wolf Automation). The WJ200-015SF is rated at 8.0A output in constant torque and HD output which is more than adequate for your motor. It really comes down to what you can get your hands on at this time. The WJ200 VFD's support and external braking resistor which is helpful if you need rapid stopping, in particular in back gear. Teco makes the L510 VFD's which are a bit less and a bit easier to program, but they do not support an external braking resistor. Just a general reminder that VFD's in this application are directly wired to your motor and then controlled with low voltage inputs. I recommend buying new switch gear and not reusing the existing which can have issues with contact resistance of the switch for the low voltage inputs. Also if you have a vari-speed head,I would use that to adjust the mill speed as opposed to the VFD, otherwise you can see uneven wear on the mechanical drive.

I have several Fuji drives for a BP mill, surface grinder, lathe etc. I love them !

Here is a pdf from Fuji that gives full details of single phase input capacities and choices:
https://www.wolfautomation.com/medi...n/fuji-frenicmini-c2-feca-an-175-appnotes.pdf

Seems like the "FRN 0012 C2S-2U" would be ideal. $197 from Marshall-Wolfe.

The support from Fuji tech people is excellent.

I have a breaking resistor on my BP, and its excellent for tapping.

As mksj said, be careful how you do the wiring. I have my VFD in a panel box, on an arm off the BP so it's convenient. I cut a little window in the front of the box so I can see the readouts and control. I added a simple 2-way toggle switch to the box to control the VFD; FWD / off / REV.
The output from the VFD must be directly to the motor, bypassing any of the existing switch gear.
I love the amps readout on the VFD; it tells me how much I'm loading my tooling, and allows me to use more efficient feeds and speeds.

I'll go down to my shop later and get you specs and pics.
Bob

Back