What's new
What's new

VFD noise

GregR

Plastic
Do VFDs make noise?

When I told a co-worker that I was planning on getting a lathe with a three phase motor and using a VFD for a phase converter, he said the noise was going to drive me crazy. I tried to explain what a VFD was and that I thought he was talking about a static or rotary phase converter if it was noisy.

Greg

I use a 25 hp GE VFD as phase converter and it makes no sound whatsoever

I have two VFD's. One on my 2hp lathe and another on a belt grinder. Both units, or should I say motors, emit a very light background whine in the frequency of the background carrier signal selected on the VFD. In my case, this is 14,500 hz., which, due to my age and working environment for the last 30 years, is right at the uppermost spectrum of my hearing ability. My son, on the other hand, can definitely hear the hum, although he says it is very low in decibels . It is more pronounced at slower rpm's. With a radio playing in the same room at low levels, it is not noticeable.

John

You can get radio frequency noise which will affect radios if you have unshielded remote control cables on a VFD.

Greg,

Some VFD's have a 'tone control' facility that allows you to dial out these harmonics by shifting the control frequency (not the run frequency!).

Ragarsed

Back