What's new
What's new

VFD settings for Mill - Do I need to change anything?

Mark Hubler

Plastic
I bought a replacement 2 hp, 3 ph, 1750 rpm motor and vfd from Dealer's Electric, for my Bridgeport copy mill. I noticed that there are many settings on the TECO/Westinghouse FM 100 vfd, are there any that I should change from the factory preset to optimise it for a mill?

I plan one occasionally running the motor up to 90 hz, for small mills and drilling small holes. Otherwise, standard milling operations (4" flycutter, endmills up to 1 1/4", aluminum and carbon steel fabrication, boring bar, drilling, etc.)

This is my first vfd, so I would apreciate any help.

Mark, I bought the same VFD for my mill.Here is what I changed on mine.
( fnxx 70 reference amps punch in motor nameplate current )

( fnxx 6 frequency upper limit )
( fnxx 7 frequency lower limit )
( fnxx 11 frequency command selection #1 controlled by keypad frequency setting potentiometer )

That should get you going,there is a few more you might want to program for remote controls.That will get you running.

Hi,

I've got a motor and VFD on the way. Did you have any trouble mounting the motor and hooking it up?

Thanks,
Richard

Richard,I didn't have any trouble.I used my factory motor with the teco fm 100 2hp vfd.It was on a small clausing horizontal mill.Probally just mounting your motor will be your toughest job.After that your home free.I am really happy with my setup.I bet you will be too.

Good luck,but I don't think you will need any. Scott

My mill is 18 years old, made in Taiwan. The original motor was a single phase, 2 hp 120/240 volt, about 9" in diameter, and not anywhere close to any NEMA size for shaft diameter, keyway or general dimensioning. To get the new motor to fit, I built an adapter to match the bolt pattern of the original motor and drop the motor about 3/4" to maintain pulley alignment(looks like a disc brake hub). I made a custom keyway, and rebored the pulley.

Thus mounting the motor is the hard part. Wiring is easy, 2 - 220 volt hot leads and a ground to the vfd and 3 hot leads and a ground between the vfd and the motor.

Hi guys,
I got my motor mounted and VFD hooked up. It's really cool.

What did you set as the upper limit for the frequency?

Back