What's new
What's new

VFD Suggestions plz: Bridgeport Series II 4hp

calgaryguy

Plastic
Looking for suggestions on a brand/supplier for a VFD for my Bridgeport Series II 4hp.

Input is 230v 1ph, output needed is 230v 3ph.

I assume a 5HP or 4kw VFD will suffice. Not looking to roll the dice on the cheapest Amazon chinese import, nor do I want to waste money where I dont need to/shouldnt.

Suggestions on a brabnd/supplier are welcome and appreciated. IF suppleir recommends are against forum rules/etiquette, PM plz.

Cheers!

Looking for suggestions on a brand/supplier for a VFD for my Bridgeport Series II 4hp.

Input is 230v 1ph, output needed is 230v 3ph.

I assume a 5HP or 4kw VFD will suffice. Not looking to roll the dice on the cheapest Amazon chinese import, nor do I want to waste money where I dont need to/shouldnt.

Suggestions on a brabnd/supplier are welcome and appreciated. IF suppleir recommends are against forum rules/etiquette, PM plz.

Cheers!

Why would you want a vfd and not a phase converter, you already have the variable speed?

Kevin

Is the Bport going to be your only 3ph machine? If yes, then vfd, if no, save yourself money and get a phase converter.

L7

With a vfd He can bypass the variable speed when it gets too loud and sloppy needing a rebuild. Plus instant reverse, power brakes etc.
remember you can use the existing switches to control the vfd not the motor. Think about adding an extra off switch on each end of the table as well.
Any VFD needs to be protected from coolant, oil and metal chips
Bill D

With a vfd He can bypass the variable speed when it gets too loud and sloppy needing a rebuild. Plus instant reverse, power brakes etc.
remember you can use the existing switches to control the vfd not the motor. Think about adding an extra off switch on each end of the table as well.
Bill D

How doo you propose he " bypass the variable speed when it gets too loud and sloppy needing a rebuild" ?

And running with an RPC will allow plug reverse, same with true 3-phase.

So this is definitely a plus, as the original controls were wired into what I think was a 'Boss' cnc cabinet that didnt come with the machine. I have the control boxes that you use to start/stop, adjust quill height, reverse, etc, but their cables have circuit boards attached to the end of them. This is a model with the pulleys for stepper motors and no manual x y or knee height handles. Once I confirm the motor/quill/variable speed belt drive are in good order I'm going to start on a CNC conversion with something like MACH3 or similar. I have a ton of research to do first before I go down the CNC path.

And running with an RPC will allow plug reverse, same with true 3-phase.

VFD is preferred for now. $350 for a VFD that will do my phase conversion and I can ignore the variable speed aspect.

Whats a 5HP RPC gonna cost me? Or a 10-15HP RPC to 'future proof' me if I pick up a large lathe?

I dont even know if this Bridgeport is serviceable at this point. I need to get some power to it before I assess its status. It was free, and I think a decent candidate for a Mach3 CNC setup as it was (I think) a Boss CNC machine.

Is the Bport going to be your only 3ph machine? If yes, then vfd, if no, save yourself money and get a phase converter.

Its the only 3ph machine for now. I may buy more in the future (1-3 years out).

This machine was basically free and I'm just learning/playing.

VFD is preferred for now. $350 for a VFD that will do my phase conversion and I can ignore the variable speed aspect.

Whats a 5HP RPC gonna cost me? Or a 10-15HP RPC to 'future proof' me if I pick up a large lathe?

I dont even know if this Bridgeport is serviceable at this point. I need to get some power to it before I assess its status. It was free, and I think a decent candidate for a Mach3 CNC setup as it was (I think) a Boss CNC machine.

Allot of people here (myself included) have....wait for it...built our own RPC.

If you go the Mach3 route, be forewarned it's not really allowed here, try over at "the zone" (can't provide linky)

depending on needs I am a fan of Lesson sm drives on the low dollar end. Bullet proof, simple set up, reliable, decent response time. Do not go with Mach - it is great for prototyping an idea, but you want smooth accurate motion at to fast for Mach speeds on a mill. I am not anti stepper, but either direction make sure you get big enough axis motors and the juice to drive them - you can not skimp on your axis drives servo or stepper.

Allot of people here (myself included) have....wait for it...built our own RPC.

If you go the Mach3 route, be forewarned it's not really allowed here, try over at "the zone" (can't provide linky)

And yeah, I get the idea of building my own RPC. I do however have this mill sitting here just begging to be turned on and sourcing the components for an RPC is alot more work/time than using the ol' visa wrench and buying a cheap VFD to just turn on and evaluate.

And wrt Mach3, I just threw that out as a CNC control system I knew off the top of my head. I'll need to do a ton of research before choosing software+servo/stepper+drivers+breakout.

Step 1 is turn this 5000# chunk of cast+steel on and see if it actually spins without any death noises.

If it were me, after taking a damn good look at the condition of the ways, I’d see about making it a manual mill. Adapt the screws for handles. Or find replacement screws. All depends on how good the iron is. Imho, there’s other mills that are good for CNC.

L7

If it were me, after taking a damn good look at the condition of the ways, I’d see about making it a manual mill. Adapt the screws for handles. Or find replacement screws. All depends on how good the iron is. Imho, there’s other mills that are good for CNC.

L7

I've nailed down that this unit is a Series II NC machine. There really is no provision for manual screws to be retrofitted.

Ways seem to be in good shape, at least the parts I can see right now have plenty of flaking on them.

IMG_2053.jpg

Once you install a VFD you will never want to go back to simple but inflexible 3-phase produced by a RPC---home made or otherwise. I have a RPC on my1943 motor/generator EE and for that machine it is perfect. But On all my other 3-phase machines I have VFD's. And I would also strongly endorse Automation Direct VFD's. The VFD's are sold from the US and AD actually provides excellent, prompt, and couteous telephone tech support. The VFD from them will cost a little more than a poorly documented bargain on eBay. But, the support and additional features and accesories that come with the AD machine more than pay for themselves. I did buy one generic VFD. It works fine. But it took a day or so to make a robust and still somewhat clunky installation compared to the AD installation. No more generics for me. The small savings and the extra work just aren't worth it.

I also made my own VFD for the EE. Relatively easy. Works fine and reliably for more than ten years of moderate use now. But the functionality just does not compare to a VFD. The RPC cost more to make than an equivalent VFD unless you can come up with a free good 3-phase motor of appropriate size. Then the caps, steel controll box, and switches needed will still approach half the cost of the VFD.

Denis

I've nailed down that this unit is a Series II NC machine.

View attachment 324703

It looks to me like it was maybe a tracer style machine. Normal Series II didnt have that monstrous of a saddle and the "Series II" CNC machines were the "rigid ram" machines or the Series II Trak, which was just the Series II Special. That massive saddle is what makes me think it was a tracer/true trace style machine.

Very interesting, to say the least.

Jon

It looks to me like it was maybe a tracer style machine. Normal Series II didnt have that monstrous of a saddle and the "Series II" CNC machines were the "rigid ram" machines or the Series II Trak, which was just the Series II Special. That massive saddle is what makes me think it was a tracer/true trace style machine.

Very interesting, to say the least.

Jon

Don't think it was a tracer mill, they usually have longer table and the T-Ram for the stylus, also the drive mounts are different from a tracer?

The mill looks like it's a CNC base and a standard Series II ram and turret.....

Kevin

I've installed several VFD's on 3 phase machines, for my shop. Mazak lathe, Ironworker, Bridgeport clone, etc.
I've found Fuji drives very simple to set up and operate. The Fuji techs are very willing to help, as are Marshall-Wolfe automation.
Don't forget you'll have to over-rate the drive when using single phase supply.
Good luck.

Back