What's new
What's new

VFD and Surface Grinder Table Question.

Will McRay

Aluminum
I have a Reid 618V which has two motors that are three phase. My question is about the table. When in auto mode the table had a limit switch to reverse the polarity to change direction of the table. Can the limit switch be hooked to the VFD FWD/REV be hooked to the limit switch to control the table? Thanks in advance for your help.

Will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surface grinder single phase conversion, thoughts?

The 1/6th hp feed motor (which sounds like its designed for plug reversing constantly) is.. i'm speculating here: likely a special motor designed with a high slip to avoid jerking the table at every reversal, as such it probably does not draw 6 times its full load amps at startup.

If you are intending to run this machine from a single phase supply and need a vfd to drive it, i would buy a 2 hp VFD and plug it in and run it. even if the 1/6th hp motor draws 6 times its full load amps as is usual for an induction motor at startup or plug reversal.. you will probably not overload a 2 hp vfd doing so, unless you are already overloading the 1 hp spindle.

I would be more concerned about the vfd's common mode voltage destroying the spindle bearings (on a very long timeline) than worrying about the feed motor tripping the vfd.. which it shouldn't. (buy a 3 hp vfd if your time is worth money, they aren't that much more expensive than 2 hp single phase input vfds)

If you run the machine from a static phase converter (which is really just a motor starter, they are not actually sources of 3 phase power) the 1 hp spindle motor and the 1/2 hp coolant pump may be enough of a "rotary phase converter" in themselves to drive the table feed. but i wouldn't bet on it. you would also have to derate the spindle to 1/2 hp actual output, and that is hard to measure.

I was thinking of running two separate VFDs and controls for the spindle and the table. This SG does not have a coolant pump so I am not worried about that. My concern is getting the table feed to work with the BFD and if the limit switch can control the VFD to change directions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back