What's new
What's new

Vfd on a warner & swasey #3

Adam Daake

Aluminum
Please don't tell me it's not worth it. It makes me money and it is accurate. My left shoulder is bad and it hurts to run the clutch lever. I my plane is to leave the clutch lever engaged and to have stop, start buttons and potentiometer for speed control. My concern is how the vfd will handle reversing the spindle with the clutch lever (it has a oil pump so you can't reverse the motor) and the high to low clutch on the fly? It has a 7.5hp single speed motor and I have 7.5hp omron mx-2 vfd new on the shelf. It is the old style #3 with leavers on top of headstock. Thank You

I've read the same, but with some common sense applied it doesn't seem like you'll have an issue. My cheapy VFD handles clutch in and out just fine the several times I've done it. If the VFD can adjust going from no cut to full cut and vise versa almost instantly, the ramp down in (near idle) load and back up of clutching into reverse would seem to be way less extreme in comparison. Found some other members whose experience agrees with mine.

Drill the handle end for a clevis.

Make linkage to go where you can work it.

to the right hand, to the floor for your left foot, etc.

Maybe a side-to-side rocker, like older Case backhoe swing pedal.

EDIT: I like the "air cylinder to move the lever" idea as well.

Last edited:

Back