What's new
What's new

Voltage Switch for Oster Wilco Pipe Threading Machine

jwfranks

Plastic
My company has a pipe threading machine that we use to bevel the ends of pipe. It bounces across a couple of different building depending on where it is needed. One building is 3 phase 440, the other is 3 phase 220. My maintenance guy has to re-wire it each time it changes buildings. Is there a switch, some kind of pig tail, or something else that we can do so that it is ready to plug in, no matter what building it is going to?
It is a 9 wire cord.

For 220, the schematic is

6 5 4 wired together

9 8 7
3 2 1 where 9 & 3 are wired, 8 & 2 are wired, 7 & 1 are wired

For 440, the schematic is

6 5 4
9 8 7 where 6 & 9 are wired, 5 & 8 are wired, 4 & 7 are wired

3 2 1

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

A switch is a bad idea, it WILL get run at the wrong voltage.... You need to make two adaptor cords, one for each voltage.
You unwire the motor and all connections are made in the adaptor cords for each voltage. Source some 9 pin connectors to come off the machine, probably jumpers in the machines end of each cord to set the voltage and to be sure all the receptacles in your buildings are voltage specific.

Or get a transformer mounted where the machine is used.
Rob

Thanks Rob,
How would you connect the adapter cords to the machine for the different voltages. I believe we already use the 3 phase 9 pin connectors to connect to the building supply, but the way I understand it, they have to change the wire configuration on the motor itself each time.

We have a plasma cutter that runs on 240V, but most of the machines and available outlets are wired 480V. The solution was a dedicated regular metal wheeled parts cart which has the plasma cutter on top and bolted to the bottom shelf sits a machine disconnect switch and a 480V to 240V transformer.

The plasma cutter runs on 240V like normal with a plug. If you have only 480V available, the 480V wired plug leading to the disconnect is plugged in, plasma plugged into transformer 240V output cord and disconnect switched on. Cumbersome but it works without rewiring or adding second piece of seldom used equipment.

Back