What's new
What's new

Weiler matador transformer

ulquiorra

Plastic
Hello everyone!My name is Robert and im new on this forum,its a pleasure to meet you all!i hope im not breaking any rules of this forum, i would like to ask help to any of you for my latest purchase, i managed to buy a weiler matador w for a very good price, i'd like to understand a bit more out of it but i cant manage to find the manual for that lathe in english but only in german and french, does anyone here has the same lathe who can help me with that? my second question is: this lathe has what at the start i thought was some kind of switch is instead a weird transformer with nubers of voltage from 380/270/220 and zero since this lathe has a 380 trifase motor and my house has a standard 220v i was trying to figure out the best way to make it work by using a vfd inverter,does anyone knows exactly what that transformer can do or if i can take advantage of it in order to use the original 380 motor and use it on my 220v power supply?right now i cant find any scheme of that transformer on weiler lathe so i would like to know more about it,i will post the pictures of the transformer asap in the meantime if anyone knows what it is or if you have the manual in englis i would really appreciate if you can contact me...many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG-20210612-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210612-WA0000.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG-20210612-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20210612-WA0001.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 75
Hello everyone!My name is Robert and im new on this forum,its a pleasure to meet you all!i hope im not breaking any rules of this forum, i would like to ask help to any of you for my latest purchase, i managed to buy a weiler matador w for a very good price, i'd like to understand a bit more out of it but i cant manage to find the manual for that lathe in english but only in german and french, does anyone here has the same lathe who can help me with that? my second question is: this lathe has what at the start i thought was some kind of switch is instead a weird transformer with nubers of voltage from 380/270/220 and zero since this lathe has a 380 trifase motor and my house has a standard 220v i was trying to figure out the best way to make it work by using a vfd inverter,does anyone knows exactly what that transformer can do or if i can take advantage of it in order to use the original 380 motor and use it on my 220v power supply?right now i cant find any scheme of that transformer on weiler lathe so i would like to know more about it,i will post the pictures of the transformer asap in the meantime if anyone knows what it is or if you have the manual in englis i would really appreciate if you can contact me...many thanks!

That looks to be a control voltage transformer. NOT a motor drive element.

Multi (high) voltage input with 12V, 24 v and a neutral 0V

It is used to power relays etc as are also shown in the image. The relays control the line current.

Typical multi-tap single phase control transformer.

240V single phase line-to-line (NA)
480V three phase line-to-neutral (277V) (NA)
415V three phase line-to-line (EU)

Might even be able to make it play ball on 208V three phase line-to-line depending on how much voltage the controls actually need.

A Weiler matador comes with eighter a dual speed single voltage motor or a single speed dual voltage motor If you have the last you could swap the motor to 3ph 220 volts and use a VDF 220 volt 1phase input and 3phase output Otherwise swap the motor for a single speed one 3ph 220/380volts and use the same VDF
Peter

A Weiler matador comes with eighter a dual speed single voltage motor or a single speed dual voltage motor If you have the last you could swap the motor to 3ph 220 volts and use a VDF 220 volt 1phase input and 3phase output Otherwise swap the motor for a single speed one 3ph 220/380volts and use the same VDF
Peter

I want to thank you all,you have no idea how much i appreciate your help! I am a completely dumb when its about electric or electronic systems im good with mechanical stuff but not the electronic so just to better understand,that transformer doesnt allows me to switch the motor from 380 to 220 right?so in detail what exactly does on the lathe? second: if i find that im lucky enough to have the second type of motor like peter said i can change the wiring and using as 220 trifase and from there using a vfd to transform the trifase to a single phase for my 220 correct?assuming that i can do this then i dont need anymore all the original switches,relay etc because i can control everything from the vfd panel am i right? tomorrow i will post more pictures of the motor and maybe one of you can help me to figure out what type of motor it is and whats the best way to proceed in order to use my lathe on a 220v circuit..many many thanks guys

thanks for your reply!sorry could you be more specific on the role of this transformer on the lathe?i would rally appreciate some extra details since it seem to be you all knows what this is much better than i do..keep in mind before that weiler i had an emco 8.6 so completely different machines

This is a control transformer, likely providing control power to various contactors, control relays, motor starters and indicator lights on the machine. You will need to select the appropriate input voltage tap to derive 24 volts AC for your control wiring.

You will also need to inspect your power wiring for all of the various motors and accessories in the machine and re-wire them as needed for your new system voltage.

If you go with a VFD and a single speed dual voltage motor You do not need any transformer anymore Set the 3phase motor for 220volt Then the single phase input VFD wil transform the single phase to 3 phase You can dump all existing controls then beside the main switch perhaps
PETER

Thank you very much Peter!i noticed that compared my emco there are very few people out there who still have a weiler lathe so i really appreciate your help!

Hello! sorry for late reply..here is the picture of my weiler motor,does any of you recognize what type of motor is it?IMG-20210619-WA0001.jpg

i do apologize in advance but some how i cant open new threads at the moment so im posting here..attached there is a picture of the matador i recently bought, as you can see at the far left there is a missing lever, does anyone knows what that lever is for?can the lathe works anyway without it?IMG-20210612-WA0002.jpg

That is a 2 speed single voltage motor
I would swap it with a single speed dual voltage motor Plenty of them around
It needs to be 220/380 volts 1400rpm motor About 1.6 kw
Try to find one with the same mount and shaft diameter
Then buy a VFD single phase 220volts input and a 220volts 3ph output with at least the same Kw as your motor at 220volts
But as it seems you are unaware of elementary electrics I would look for a friend who understands things a bit better

The missing lever is for changing the powerfeed from gear driven to V belt driven V belt drive is less noisy but you cannot make a treading with it
The lathe will run and you can probably fixate things in one position so you can use powerfeed But the missing parts are easy to replicate or bought used
The parts list shows all the parts you need and give you a idea of how it works

Peter

It needs to be 220/380 volts 1400rpm motor About 1.6 kw
Try to find one with the same mount and shaft diameter
Then buy a VFD single phase 220volts input and a 220volts 3ph output with at least the same Kw as your motor at 220volts
But as it seems you are unaware of elementary electrics I would look for a friend who understands things a bit better

The missing lever is for changing the powerfeed from gear driven to V belt driven V belt drive is less noisy but you cannot make a treading with it
The lathe will run and you can probably fixate things in one position so you can use powerfeed But the missing parts are easy to replicate or bought used
The parts list shows all the parts you need and give you a idea of how it works

Peter

You're the best Peter! many thanks for your help!im denied with electrics but fortunately my dad its great with it instead he is denied with mechanic while im pretty good at so we should make a good team!im gathering more info as possible before to put my hands on it to avoid stupid mistakes and time wasting..to come back to us..instead of changing the motor would not be effective a 220 single to 380 3phase output VFD? or there is a particular reason why you think replacing the motor would be the best choice?
P.S. Unfortunately im still looking for the manual, apparently its very difficult to find one in english unless you're ready to spend 70 euro for it and lets say at the moment i really cant spend the money like that

I have not seen a VFD with 220volts single phase input and a 380volts 3phase output yet here in Europe Not used anyhow New perhaps If you can get your hands on one at a reassonable price that would work also But a used 3ph 220/380volt motor you should be able tobuy for €50 or so
And a used VFD 1ph input 3ph output at 220volts you can get used for about €150 to €200 I guess
Peter

Thank you Peter,the reason why I mentioned it its because I found one from china 380 3phase to 220 single phase 4kw for 160 euro brand new,and it seem to have all positive feedback so I thought it was the best choice

IIRC this has been addressed a few times before, and the motor can be left alone, wired to the VFD for either hi or lo speed, but not switched.

IIRC this has been addressed a few times before, and the motor can be left alone, wired to the VFD for either hi or lo speed, but not switched.

He has only 220 volts single phase That motor is single voltage 380 volts
As he is on a budget I advised him what to buy what is available in the used market here in Europe on a regular base
Peter

Hello everyone,I received the inverter but during the test something strange happened,from 30hz going down the multimeter needle starts jumping up and down,while the pc and the mobile phone screen start going crazy like going on and off all the time,I sent the video to the seller and he said that was completely normal,cause the environment of use was the problem and not the inverter,he told me to ground properly the inverter and use magnets to prevent the frequency disturbance or to change the place where I should use the inverter :) what do you think about it? I never seen an inverter doing such things,I'm going to upload the YouTube link of the video and the answers from the seller,I would like to know what you think about it

Hello everyone,I received the inverter but during the test something strange happened,from 30hz going down the multimeter needle starts jumping up and down,while the pc and the mobile phone screen start going crazy like going on and off all the time,I sent the video to the seller and he said that was completely normal,cause the environment of use was the problem and not the inverter,he told me to ground properly the inverter and use magnets to prevent the frequency disturbance or to change the place where I should use the inverter :) what do you think about it? I never seen an inverter doing such things,I'm going to upload the YouTube link of the video and the answers from the seller,I would like to know what you think about it

Ermm??? What part of "ALTERNATING" and at 30 cycles per second and SLOWER...
... are you considering some form of surprise?

Back