What's new
What's new

What type of VFD control for lathe

hacklordsniper

Plastic
Im replacing a motor in my lathe with 11 kW Mitsubishi FR-A720 VFD and 5.5 kW motor. The VFD is 11 kw since i have only single phase input.

I have the option of V/F, Advanced magnetic flux, sensorless vector, sensor vector. I cant use the last because i dont have any speed sensor. If using sensorless vector it offers me speed or torque control, which one should i choose, speed or torque? The lathe has all headstock gears inside (not only High and Low speed).

All others parameters in VFD are easy to set up, but im not sure which control method is best (im guessing the sensorless vector in speed or torque).

SVC, speed control is fine for a lathe and most other machine tools, because cutter head speed (or in the case of the lathe, speed ACROSS the cutter head) is what you need to maintain. Torque control is for when torque precision is more important than speed precision. A winding machine is a good example. You have a pay-out spool and a take-up spool. You use speed control on the pay-out so that you don't let everything go flying all over, but on the take-up spool, too much torque will stretch or break the product being wound. So you have the drive control the torque to keep it constant and as the spool diameter changes, the speed does what it has to do to keep the tension constant.

Back