What's new
What's new

Why different voltage on RFD generated leg?

beeser

Cast Iron
The voltage to ground readings I get with my RFD are roughly 120, 120 and 230, the latter being the generated leg. Can someone explain the reason behind it?

The voltage to ground readings I get with my RFD are roughly 120, 120 and 230, the latter being the generated leg. Can someone explain the reason behind it?

"to GROUND", not leg-to-leg is your klew.

Search and read on "corner grounded delta", "high-leg delta", whether ground-referred AT ALL ("floating") and the differences in general between Delta and Wye distribution / supply.

Pay attention. Shock hazard is not a trivial item, here.

"to GROUND", not leg-to-leg is your klew.

Search and read on "corner grounded delta", "high-leg delta", whether ground-referred AT ALL ("floating") and the differences in general between Delta and Wye distribution / supply.

Pay attention. Shock hazard is not a trivial item, here.

Thanks thermite! I'm reading the material you suggested and will pay attention to the hazards involved. FWIW, the voltage readings leg to leg are approx. 240, 240 and 250. I should also mention this is a Rong, Roto-Con RFD.

After some reading on "high leg delta" as suggested by thermite I'm beginning to understand the increased voltage to ground on one leg. Ronk mentions in their literature that the generated leg is labeled as the "A" phase. My reading suggests however that it should be identified as the "B" phase and marked with orange tape. Is this a matter of Ronk not following the code or is there some latitude in the marking system?

After some reading on "high leg delta" as suggested by thermite I'm beginning to understand the increased voltage to ground on one leg. Ronk mentions in their literature that the generated leg is labeled as the "A" phase. My reading suggests however that it should be identified as the "B" phase and marked with orange tape. Is this a matter of Ronk not following the code or is there some latitude in the marking system?

"Convention" would have it "B" leg and Orange tape. Don't get too hung up on it.

Hong Kong, in "weaning itself" off British code actually legalized two CONFLICTING schemes as "official". By LAW. Go figure.

In any case, the electrons don't actually much give a damn. Opportunistic like bastids will go wherever they can find a path. Shockingly poor vision - colour blind ain't but the half of it - and even worse table-manners, those have.

:)

Back