What's new
What's new

Why is max Frewquency 300hz on a 1000hz Danfoss VLT5008

arnehaar69

Plastic
Hello,

I hope anyone might can help me, I bought a VLT5008 Danfoss VFD,

it is labelled 1000hz, but if I go in settings it always says 300hz is the limit,

does anyone know how to change it or why it is so?

Thank You so so much for any tips,

Best to all of You, Arne

In the US and EU, there is a maximum legal limit to the output speed of VFDs, due to an edict from the Dept. of Defense and NATO, because of the potential use of VFDs to be used in centrifuges when processing fissionable material for nuke bombs. So any VFD mfrs selling their products here or in other NATO countries must limit their output below that threshold. page 23 of this document:
https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/documents/regulations-docs/2334-ccl3-10-24-18/file

The threshold is actually 600Hz, which means you see numerous mfrs limit it to 599hz or rounded down to 500Hz. 300Hz is kind of extreme, but each mfr does their own interpretation. If you NEED to operate a motor at more than 599Hz, you can apply for a variance through the DoD, during which they will investigate you and what you are going to do with the machine.

it is labelled 1000hz,
does anyone know how to change it or why it is so?

They all have unpublished overrides to place the Drive into High Frequency Mode. It’s usually a combination of a parameter setting along with key hold upon start-up. I’m not familiar with your brand. I always call tech support and ask for High Frequency Mode procedure. Good luck!

In the US and EU, there is a maximum legal limit to the output speed of VFDs, due to an edict from the Dept. of Defense and NATO, because of the potential use of VFDs to be used in centrifuges when processing fissionable material for nuke bombs. So any VFD mfrs selling their products here or in other NATO countries must limit their output below that threshold. page 23 of this document:
The frequency resolution has to be greater than .2% in addition to >=600hz. Most VFDs sold in this frequency range have resolutions around.5% He should be good without a variance in this case.

My Danfoss VLT 5000 series VFD/inverter that I use for the three phase supply to my workshop does have a setting that limits the maximum frequency that it can be used for, It relates to the waveform that the VFD creates. I can't remember what the parameter is, at the moment, because I use it to generate a fixed 50Hz for all the machines in my workshop. I'll try to remember to have a look in the manual to find what setting might be causing your problem and reply here.

The go-to moral of this is, if you can get hold of a copy of the VFD's manual, you will find that it has many settings (current limit, lost phase protection, yada yada) that may be very useful in what ever application you have for it.

In the US and EU, there is a maximum legal limit to the output speed of VFDs, due to an edict from the Dept. of Defense and NATO, because of the potential use of VFDs to be used in centrifuges when processing fissionable material for nuke bombs.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad inspecting a centrifuge farm in Iran. At least 10 years ago. They don't need any VFDs. They can build whatever they need or get it from Russia or China. Maybe even France too.

vlcsnap-2019-02-15-11h55m04s069.jpg

https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/documents/regulations-docs/2334-ccl3-10-24-18/file

The threshold is actually 600Hz, which means you see numerous mfrs limit it to 599hz or rounded down to 500Hz. 300Hz is kind of extreme, but each mfr does their own interpretation. If you NEED to operate a motor at more than 599Hz, you can apply for a variance through the DoD, during which they will investigate you and what you are going to do with the machine.

I wonder if the malicious use of centrifugal washing machines as tools to separate that precious U238 was discussed in that meeting where they came up with the need to restrict VFDs in such a way... if not, I would say it was a wasteful use of public funding...

I wonder if the malicious use of centrifugal washing machines as tools to separate that precious U238 was discussed in that meeting where they came up with the need to restrict VFDs in such a way... if not, I would say it was a wasteful use of public funding...
That would be skimming off heavier gaseous Uranium 239 (.7%) from gaseous Uranium 238 (99.3%). The technology is 60 years old.

I see this as governing bodies are being very stupid! If someone reached the point of needing a centrifuge that limitations of frequencies of VFDs is useless! Something like banning the export of the Red Dot Optical Sights! Thought there might be one or two brands that are being made in the USA the majority are being made in China and a few in other countries.

Back