What's new
What's new

Will the old AB buttons work after switching from 3 phase to single?

fouber

Plastic
I acquired a big old Powermatic 143 bandsaw. I'm replacing the 3 phase motor with a single phase, 240V motor. I'd like to use the existing set of 800T-XA Series C contact blocks and 800T-86 push buttons (Start and Stop), but I can't find any wiring diagrams online. It doesn't help that contacts aren't labelled as far as I can tell.

I have included a picture of the blocks as they were configured for 3 phase. Unfortunately, I can't say where these wire led. And assistance would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 249309

contactblocks.jpg

You are missing part of the puzzle. These buttons with their contact blocks operated a starter control or set or relays that your post does not include. You will need that part as well as the buttons/contacts to operate the single phase motor, but yes, it can be wired to work with a single phase motor IMHO.

To go from a three phase to single phase application, make sure the new voltage is the same as the old and if not change coils in the starter or insert a transformer. Remove the two sets of three wires form the starter and replace with the two single phase wires. Check the heaters in the overload relay and replace or adjust as needed for the new full load current of the motor.

Tom

Thank you all for your prompt responses.

RustySparks, the saw did come with a big panel of relays, but it was so intimidating that I removed it. I may try to re-attach it and combine it with Moonlight Machine's suggestion.

Moonlight Machine, I did not know an affordable 1 to 3 phase converter was available. My initial searches indicated that 3 phase required a new line from the electric company so I dismissed the idea. I wish I hadn't.

Tdegenhart, I appreciate your advice, but it's beyond my limited experience to execute.

The saw did come with a big panel of relays, but it was so intimidating that I removed it. I may try to re-attach it and combine it with Moonlight Machine's suggestion.
By all means, re-attach it if you can, and reconnect the wires as they were if at all possible. Then you will be in a better place to achieve the goals you want. There are many contributors here that will be happy to guide you in whichever direction (single phase motor conversion, or using the original motor with a 1 to 3 phase converter) that will give you the reliable, economical operation you desire.

Back