What's new
What's new

Wiring Assistance - Enco Carbide Grinder

in_a_silent_way

Plastic
I have an Enco carbide grinder 161-2060 mfg 1992

it runs (requires manual spin) but does not start (hums)

single phase single voltage 115 1/2HP - three leads from the motor
it has a 20uf capacitor that I assume is a start and run capacitor
there is no internal centrifugal switch

I thought this was an easy one but after some of the obvious fixes failed, I am sort of lost
I think anything I could ask would be answered by a picture of the wiring in the base of same unit - it is possible I am missing a relay component to aid in starting

short story shorter - if there is a member with the same grinder that runs who could take a picture of their wiring arrangement in the base, I think that is all I need to get this back in service - it is far from the best machine, but it deserves better than scrap for want of a $10 repair

TIA

From your description, I suspect the start/run capacitor needs to be replaced! Fortunately, these are a very broad tolerance item, so any start/run capacitor with the same-or-better voltage rating and +-20% on the nominal capacitance should work.

I had the wiring of a Baldor 500 opened up recently. There are no relays, starters or anything like that. For my Baldor, there is a 3-position 2-pole switch for forward/off/reverse and the start/run capacitor. That's pretty much it if you ignore the wires running out to the gooseneck lamp.

a perfectly reasonable conclusion
I thought the same - ordered a new capacitor based on the one already present
wired it and got the same result
could still be bad caps, but I dont have a meter that will verify and the local motor shop closed last year
could be the capacitor is too small - there is also a short pig tail on the neutral side that is clipped off - dont know if that is anything or not
hoping to get a look at something wired properly so I can start to eliminate possible problems
I have a baldor as mentioned, but it isnt here to compare
I am not certain of this, but I believe the architecture of the two motors is a fair bit different
TIA

Back